Hello, Forum newbie here. Thanks in advance for advice. I'm a halfway decent amateur mechanic/handyman but I have not worked on heavy equipment much. I own a New Holland 555e. The hand lever throttle control started sticking, then stopped working with much looser feel when moved. I turned the seat around and found that the foot pedal throttle control will not work either. Lovely. Further investigation revealed that the throttle arm on the fuel pump can be worked manually. When the foot pedal is moved you can feel the cable moving up by the throttle arm but it will not move enough to increase throttle. Foot pedal seems to be working when examined above and below the cab deck. The hand lever can be moved but there is no effect on the cable connection at the foot pedal. The hand lever: Taking the lever assembly apart revealed that the end of the cable has come off and so moving the lever does nothing to the cable. Cable is done for. I have not found any repair/replacement instruction online on how to go about replacing the throttle cable on this machine. The service manual I viewed online did not cover this repair. I have found a few parts places that carry a replacement, but they all are selling the entire cable assembly (hand lever all the way up to the fuel pump). So, do I need to replace the entire assembly or is there some other way to address this situation? Is it just one cable from one end to the other with hardware in the middle where the foot pedal hooks on? Is that why the foot pedal won't work either despite still being attached to the fuel pump? Any words for wisdom would be appreciated. Jim in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Here is the part breakdown and numbers. There is a serial number break so you need to take that into account to look up the correct part. Messick's shows one of each in stock so you would need to call and have them put their hands on it.
Before you purchase anything, I would get someone to push the throttle while you look at the injector pump. Because you said that this didn't happen suddenly, there is a chance that the cable has come loose near the injector pump.
Thank you. When the foot pedal is pumped I can feel the cable moving inside the rubber boot at the pump. It seems to be connected. However, there's a lot of slack. As I mentioned, the other end of the cable is gone at the hand lever housing. The sleeve is still attached but there's no cable end to be seen. If it is true that it's all one cable I'm guessing the slack at the pump end is caused by the broken cable at the lever end having been pulled toward the pump.
Thank you. Good catch on there being two different versions. The diagram helps. It's the fine detail of how things are attached/connected at the various points that I'm lacking.
Messicks is a real nice source to see parts for your machine. OEM New Holland Parts & Accessories (In-Store & Online) | Messicks Messick's has industry's largest ready-to-ship, in-stock New Holland parts inventory with more than 250,000 pieces. We ship nationwide, browse today! www.messicks.com
If you have trouble finding the cable, you could also contact Bunker Hill cables. I have had good luck with them for cables and advice.
Wow. Thank you. That seems to cover both ends. Does your source have any diagrams/instructions on how to connect\adjust the cable to the mechanisms under the foot pedal?
I think what I posted is all it has on the cable and pedal adjustment.
Unfortunately for me this is a job I also need to do. I haven’t lost all function but my RPMs don’t max out anymore. Been putting it off for a year. Good luck on the repair.
Heh, me too, except mine is only a foot pedal adjustment, and maybe just a spring or something as the pedal upon pressing it and releasing it will leave the machine a few hundred rpm above idle. I can move the lever and bring the machine back to idle or I can toe the pedal toward me to return it to idle. Good info NH575E! Nice to see you are still in the game.