Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NH LX 885 electrical issues

TF Pace ยท 2018-06-18 22:09

Hello All, My trusty '99 model 885 quit on me last week and will only start in the service mode. Here's what I have checked. Fuses, they are all good Safety switches in the seat. I borrowed a jumper plug from a friend and with this installed I have no power on the instrument cluster. Battery is full. I removed the instrument cluster and everything looks fine on the back of the panel. Nothing is burnt. Again, the machine starts with the service switch on. I hear a click from coming from the fuse block/relay block/ solenoid block that is mounted on the LH side of the firewall. I sincerely appreciate any pointers. Tom

Replies20
  1. #1td25c2018-06-18 23:15

    Had the same problem with the 1997 model JD 8875 skid loader . New Holland with JD decals on it . Great machine ! We just left the switch in service mode & ran it . Then on a job site the hydro / safety would not unlock ... That's it boy's ! I'm done with this crap . Pulled the servo out of the valve body & hacked lock pin off so I could do the job . Now it operates just like an old Ford tractor . And that's the way I like it .

  2. #2TF Pace2018-06-18 23:26

    Thanks for the reply. Is your instrument panel working? I like your approach but in need my fuel gage Everything is dead on my panel.

  3. #3td25c2018-06-19 07:23

    My instrument panel still works . Do the glow plugs work on the 885 TF Pace ? You can hear the relay kick on & off . Usually just lasts for 2 seconds in warm weather & 10 in the cold stuff . Just wonder if the problem is the instrument panel itself ? Wonder what that would cost ? td25 's "deep thought of the day "......... Fuel gage is the least important on the panel . Oil pressure & engine temp being the most important . Most machines are built for an 8 hour shift . Top off the fuel in the morning while checking the fluid levels in the engine .

  4. #4TF Pace2018-06-19 07:26

    I have to check the glow plugs. Instrument panel $800.00

  5. #53X82018-06-19 08:22

    Here's a used one on ebay for 500 bux, still a lot of $$ though when you're not sure that's it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hollan...950087?hash=item4b46988dc7:g:OkAAAOSwStdbKBti

  6. #6TF Pace2018-06-19 08:25

    3X8, Thanks for the link. I'm still trying to determine where my problem lies. I have a friend that has an 885. Hoping to borrow his and test.

  7. #7pajibson2018-06-19 11:46

    didnt those have two different styles of panel? gold versus silver or some such thing. If you send me an email address I can send you the service manual.

  8. #83X82018-06-19 14:44

    Yes they did, the one with the silver around the edge was the "bad one". The gold around the edge was it's replacement.

  9. #9TF Pace2018-06-19 18:44

    3X8, it looks as though I have the "bad one".

  10. #10td25c2018-06-19 20:02

    You know ...... The older I get the more I feel blessed when an easy decision comes along . I was guessing dealer would be pretty proud of a new instrument panel for an old machine . Ours is an 1997 model . When my panel go's bad I'm gutting the upper instrument area & installing manual gages . Walk in to the local parts store & spend about $100.00 on it & have gages in it like it should have had to begin with .

  11. #11td25c2018-06-19 20:07

    That's what mine looks like on the JD8875 .

  12. #12TF Pace2018-06-19 20:30

    td25c, Switching to gauges makes sense too. I never used the computer stuff that is offered. The temp gauges for oil and water are nice as is the battery level.

  13. #13td25c2018-06-19 20:44

    I'm a gage guy as well . Want them in easy line of sight while operating .

  14. #14TF Pace2018-06-20 11:58

    I spoke with a seasoned NH Holland tech and he graciously shared some troubleshooting steps for me to trace my problem. He suggested that I test all fuses versus the visual method. I did a continuity test and all fuses are OK. He then said the see if I have power coming to the seat. He said there is power coming to it at all times. I checked and there is no power No I have the fun chore of tracing out my broken 12V line.

  15. #153X82018-06-20 18:49

    Keep in mind..... I'M no expert, I only read about it being that way but on mine I believe it's been changed because there's a sticker on it from some electronic shop and it's gold. (1998 LX565)

  16. #16td25c2018-06-20 19:26

    That sounds encouraging . Be nice if it was just a broken wire connection .

  17. #17TF Pace2018-06-20 21:39

    I'm hoping that's it. Un-folding the cab on these machines is fun once that takes place it's going to be tracing a rather long wiring harness.

  18. #18StumpyWally2018-06-29 18:12

    TF Pace...I had a similar problem on my much newer NH L220. Finally found the problem...a mouse-chewed wire in the back of the cab that was limiting the voltage to the seat belt interlock switch. You can check out my complete odyssey here: HeavyEquipmentForums

  19. #19TF Pace2018-06-29 18:35

    StumpyWally, I look forward to the read. I'm ready to open this machine up but paying work prevents this

  20. #20td25c2018-07-08 20:00

    The John Deere 8875 / NH 885 quit charging on me yesterday . Had this happen once before , the brush holder gets a little grit in it and they stick . Pull it off , work the brushes back & forth & blow around them with air . She's charging again Brush holder looks to also be the voltage regulator . Just passin it on .