I'm here just outside of LA. and working nights on the transit lines out here. So when I found that out the first thing I did was find a dealer for KN lights and went and bought a pair and a couple of other lights so that I can see. We've run for 2 nights out here and I'm still trying to decide if I need more or not. Monday will be our next day of work and I'm gonna try to get some pictures of this thing all lit up. First is the back, this is the existing lights on there. There was a set of these big lights on there before but when the truck made a trip to mexico they disappeared off the back of the truck. So I didn't have to drill holes or run wires they where already there. Then I mounted these two lights on there.
Next I moved up to the front of the truck where I mounted two more, but here I had to drill the holes, run wiring and mount the lights. I don't have any pictures of the wiring yet because right now it's just stuck in there and zip-tied down because the harness that came with the lights was made to be mounted in a pickup or jeep size vehicle. When I get somewhere where I have some daylight hours to work on it I'll extend the wiring and neaten everything up. I like this wiring setup because it came with everything I needed and it uses a relay just like I would have done it. The two pre-existing lights on the bumper are my wig-wag lights, I have the big lights wired into those so that the only way the big lights come on are if the wig-wags are on. This prevents us from having the big lights on while driving down the road. I measured out where I wanted the lights, then I ground off the diamonds in that area and drilled my holes to mount the lights in.
Next I mounted the lights and later I'll get the wiring photo'd. These are all 100 Watt lights.
normally I would say add all the lights you can, but you seem pretty well set. Id like to see a picture of that whole truck.
The Problem that I'm running into right now is that the lights I have on are great for about 100-150 feet in front of the truck, but only at rail level. Sometimes the mileposts and frogs and switches can seem to come out of no where. So what I was thinking was 2 more of these big lights but of the spotlight version instead of the driving lights that i've got mounted up by the top of the body or possibly on the mirror brackets and shining up ahead and more towards the edges of the ballast. I'll find some pics or take some of this truck, but I know i've got full shots of the other trucks i've worked on.
What kind of truck is that, purpose i mean. Interesting bumper set up. What kind of work do you do.
I don't know what exactly he does with the truck but I think he has some Star-Trek kind of gizmo that checks something with the rails. ZThickness or something maybe crakcs or it could be everything you both want to know and don't want to know about the rails. Sweet looking truck though.
swweet trains horns...
Looks like a Hi Rail set up. Has a set of steel wheels for running along a train track and doing maintenance work on the track. You straddle the track at a railroad crossing and hydralically lower the wheels on to the track. The rear tires of the truck touch the track and drive it along the rail.Works great as long as no one makes a mistake and a train is not coming. I hit one with a freight train once. Right after the driver bailed out.
I run GE 4522 in cheep metal housings on the back of my headache rack on the T-800. They draw a tremendous amount of power. But put out an INSANE amount of light. I will warn you to use heavy wires. mine are wired to a stancore contactor with 1/0 welding cable then 2 separate 2 gauge lines up to the lights in the rack. Relays need not apply. I have ben considering the new hella or speaker HID work lights though.
indeed! They'll hear ya coming for sure!
Very "truckly" front end shot! ALL business. Do like them horns too. How about some Unity spotlights on the roof of truck? They make a remote control version you can direct by toggleswitch.