Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

87 Western Star

Preppypyro ยท 2008-07-16 14:36

Im looking into purchasing a 87 W/S dump. The question I have is about the front brakes. The guy told me that on one of the front brakes, the "spider gear" is gone, and its a hard part to find on that year of a truck. The other problem is the guy speaks mainly french, and I only speak english, so its probably not called a spider gear thats busted (I was thinking something with the s-cam) but its the difference in language that is creating a problem. The truck is also 20 hours away from where I live, so I would like to do more research about the problem before going to take a solid look at it.

Replies6
  1. #1euclid2008-07-16 14:49

    I gotta question? Do you need this specific model? I mean other than cost/savings would another model be better over the long haul? You mentioned a front brake problem and this could be a re-occuring issue and if it is a hard part to find you'll spend more time down than up and running. :my2c

  2. #2Preppypyro2008-07-16 15:13

    No I dont need the specific model. Im considering it because of the extremly low price. See up in canada out east there seems to be a little bit of a shortage of work. Out in the west where I am from the work is booming pretty good, and the price of dumps is insane. The truck is in excellent condition according to the pics. It looks really well and like what I would like to have. The price for the truck is also below 10 grand. To get a similiar truck like that out in the west right now, you are looking at spending about 25grand, give or take, for a similiar truck. So for 600 dollars for a flight (for my woman and myself) a few hotel rooms, the price of a couple of permits, the diesel to drive it back, and the repairs (hopefully, thats what im trying to figure out here) I would be saving roughly ten-fifteen grand or so for getting that truck out there compared to one out here. Thats my whole situation, right now I have an auction to check out tomorrow so i might get one from there too, who knows.

  3. #3celticcrusader2008-07-16 18:04

    spider he is talking about is a brake spider which bolts to spindle and is the mounting point for brake shoes and anchor pins. should be ava. new or junk yard

  4. #4euclid2008-07-17 07:54

    that makes sense when you compare the price differences, and hopefully as the above post mentioned it is a part that is available and thus could be a good deal for you! Nice trip to gett out of town and see the country side! Best of luck on that deal.

  5. #5Preppypyro2008-07-17 12:59

    Kind of funny, I went online and bought a different 87 western star dump today. Its alot closer, although still a 13 hour drive away. Thanks for the help though fellas its greatly appreciated.

  6. #6euclid2008-07-17 13:12

    Have a safe trip and may the ole star run well for you!