Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Nissan/Datsun F02 power steering control valve question / service manual

Head_scratcher ยท 2015-12-12 01:19

Hello there everyone! I'm hoping I might find some information that has been difficult for me to track down. I'm working on a pre-'81 Nissan F02 forklift (full model CPF02A20V) that needed some work done on the steering assembly. It was leaking oil out of the grommet for the horn wire so I decided to change the oil seal at the base of the steering tube. Well that required me to remove and completely disassemble the steering assembly. The trouble came when I pulled off the power steering control valve and the reaction pistons/plugs that sit inside the spool came tumbling out onto the work bench. I have no idea which ones go where. There are two kinds, solid and slotted, with a total of 8 (4 on each side). Does anyone have any experience/documentation with something like this? I have a parts diagram from the dealer that "shows how it goes together" but its not detailed enough to identify the position of the specific types. I also have the steering assembly section of the service manual and that also does not detail the position of these valves. I've tried searching part numbers to get pictures of the control valve and I just can't seem to find anything useful. Alas... here we are. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide. I've removed and reinstalled this thing about 4 times now and I'm starting to lose my mind. This is the steering assembly still in the forklift. Shot of the bottom of the valve Shot of the top of the valve

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042015-12-12 10:54

    Thats the same type of valve used on old Ford 3000 tractors. It sits on top of a steering gear and the shaft the steering wheel is on moves the center spool up and down a little, right? I was very familiar with them 20+ years ago. I'll look tonight and see what my old books say, maybe it'll put you on the right track.

  2. #2Head_scratcher2015-12-12 12:36

    Thank you Mitch! Yessir, that's the one. It looks like it only moves the center spool to engage bypass and that was going to be my next question... how much space should there be between the center spool and the washer that moves it? When tightening the shaft nut you could technically compress the reaction piston springs enough so the spool and the pistons move at the same time but Im not sure if that's right or if there should be space between the spool and washer that moves it. I'll snap a picture of the spaces once I get back over to the shop.

  3. #3Head_scratcher2015-12-12 12:52

    So I looked up those tractors and it functions the same way but the valves seem to be set up different. Looks like only one valve has a pass through, whereas mine has a total of 4 pass-thru and 4 solid.