New one for me the other day. I was loading out some military shipments, and looked over one of their hemmit hooklift trucks. The Hydraulic cylinders were black, almost looked like rust bluing like on a gun. I looked it up when I got home, and its a nitride outer surface, and read up on it a little. I'd never seen it, I imagine their stuff sits so much, they may be trying to avoid rust and seal failure. http://www.eagle-hydraulic.com/nitrided_rod.html https://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/hydraulic-cylinder-rods.html Anyone else ever seen this used?
Nickel Nitride is some what common on a lot heavy equipment pins.
I remember seeing it on some machinery years ago, I want to say maybe a Gehl skid steer or something. It’s not fairly common but I see it from time to time.
I have seen a few smaller deere(green) tractor loaders with them.
I should have added that I have not seen this on cylinders though.
Yep , have a customer that runs a Deere compact tractor . First thing I noticed on it was the dark / blued cylinder rods .
Getting more common with cylinder rebuilders too, as more and more restrictions come in regarding the use of hexavalent chromium in the plating process. HVOF seems to be the weapon of choice these days. http://www.ep-coatings.co.uk/proces...MIyKbIubib2wIVjLHtCh2Z0QNEEAAYAiAAEgJ08fD_BwE