Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

STI service trucks

newguy2k3 · 2018-05-23 14:52

does anyone here have one or been around them? Specifically a newer Dodge chassis with full PTO crane and compressor. Currently in a Maintainer and weighing ordering an STI or another Maintainer. I like the Maintainer because it's lighter than any of the others and the stowed height on the crane is much lower as well. They may use one of the loudest pto pumps known to man though. I'm wondering if the STI is any better in that regard. They use a tandem pump.

Replies12
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-05-23 16:53

    What's wrong with IMT or SUMMIT? Both good body builders. I'm in a STI truck now. It's ok, not my first choice though. Really hate sacrificing cabinet space for crane pedestal.

  2. #2newguy2k32018-05-23 17:45

    STI is too damn heavy. I'd be overweight with just my tools. From the little I've looked at summit they seem about the same. If I order an STI it'll only be if they can raise the 2nd pass side box to 60" and drop the crane pedestal 6-10"

  3. #3newguy2k32018-05-23 18:12

    What type of setup? I looked at summit's web page. 4900lb bed and it's only rated for 38k ft/lbs? No thanks. I'm looking for a 45-50k ft lb 25-30ft crane on this one.

  4. #4funwithfuel2018-05-23 19:37

    IMT dominator series. I had one on an F650 years back. Best body I ever worked out of. Now with better crane

  5. #5Mike L2018-05-23 19:57

    Why would you want anything other than a maintainer? IMO they are the Cadillac of service bodies

  6. #6funwithfuel2018-05-23 20:05

    I liked the short wheelbase and tight turning radius. You're not always out in the dirt, sometimes you're on a city street or alley. Things get tight quick. With that short box, I didn't get jammed up like I do with this long bed F550. The crane was stought enough, I could swap a D13F in a haul truck or loader and not have to be right on top of it. I miss my old truck. It was the bees knees. Little ISB 6.7 in front of a Spicer 6+1, no emissions crap. No problems. Hell, low and reverse we're so low, I didn't even have to clutch.

  7. #7newguy2k32018-05-23 21:39

    There are a few things that I'm not a fan of. I guess the pump or the way they plumb it on the PTO? God awful loud. At least on the Dodge 5500 chassis. I wish the outriggers had more travel. Stow higher and be able to deploy lower. I've drug them more than a few times, sometimes on pavement and needed to throw blocks under them to hit the ground more than few times also. I wish they offered a little more crane than the 7024 on a 1 ton chassis. When the crane hits 100% load you have to pretty much set the load down to reset it. In some cases it can get you in a jam. I like how light they are compared to similar space and capabilities from a competitor. The crane stows nice and low too. I could go through a 9' drive through before I mounted the welder. The main thing I hate is the PTO noise though. It howls louder than any other truck I've been around.

  8. #8newguy2k32018-05-23 21:55

    How did you have a shorter wheelbase on an f650 than a 550?

  9. #9funwithfuel2018-05-23 22:11

    The 550 is a pickup style cab while 650 was mid range chassis . The 550 has a 15 foot bed where the 650 had an 11 foot bed. The 550 has the same crappy Ford front axle rated for 3 maybe 4 ton as a 1 ton on ball joints with 19s The 650 had a 7 ton axle on King pins with 11R 22.5s. The only thing I didn't like about the 650 was it was a stick. Woulda been happier with a slushbox in traffic. Both trucks under CDL. Juice brakes, GVW under 26k. 10'6” overall height with crane stowed. I just don't have to climb up into this heap like I did the 650. Plus your vantage point was so much better , up there.

  10. #10Mike L2018-05-24 11:13

    I guess I’ve had a different experience with maintainer. I had an 11 foot on an f650, a 14’ on a kenworth, and now another 14’ on a peterbilt. Ive never noticed any pto noise and my trucks have always set up high in the rear so I’ve never drug them. I do have to drop the air ride to get them down far enough sometimes and my biggest complaint would be the safeties on the crane. If it’s not relatively level it will give you fits.

  11. #1192U 34062018-05-24 11:36

    I'm not a fan of the F550 mirrors. I miss the big mirrors the old C5500 at my last job had. Plus the overall visability of the surroundings was a lot better than the Ford.

  12. #12newguy2k32018-05-24 20:49

    Maintainer makes a fine bed. I'd call them top 3. There's just enough annoyances that they're not the be all end all for me and I'm willing to look at other options. It's a bit different comparing a 1 ton and 2 ton chassis too though.