I have tried numerous times to use the chat function here. I use it on my Facebook page every day, works fine. I thought maybe it was a problem with Javascript, so I removed and reloaded the newest version. Now,... I may appear to know what I'm talking about in terms of computer lingo, (what with all this talking about removing/reinstalling and all...,) but the straight up truth is, I know about as much about the technical end of this contraption as Jed Clampett would if we asked him to fix the problem right now. When I click on chat, all I get is a big blank box. I also get a small box with red "X" in the upper left corner of the big box. No cursor blinking, no place to text...nothing. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sorry to hear your having troubles LowBoy, hope ya get it sorted out, because there's usually a group of us knuckleheads at the chatbar in the evenings.
Try this link, Lowboy... and if you get the warning pop up about the trusted certificate... "do you want to run"... click yes... click "run", sorry. All the best, Jed Clampett OCR... PS: I just tried it, and it worked for me... :beatsme Also, right click the link, and click "open in a new tab"... you can go between chat and HEF, that way.
One more thing.... If you get the tab, you have to left click on it, too. OCR
This is what I get when I try to get into the room: Connecting... Logging in... -irc.Ez1Networks.com- *** Looking up your hostname... -irc.Ez1Networks.com- *** Found your hostname Erroneous Nickname: Illegal characters All I have to do is click the chat button on top or that link OCR posted.
Interesting 95zIV, there's a couple of us there right now.
Yeah, a couple members had to get their User Name modified. OCR
You may have to get one of the Mods to change your user name. I had the same problem and the same message. Digger took the inverted colon out of my user name and it worked. There must be something about your username that the software doesn't regonise. RnR.
I clicked onto your link OCR, I get the same window (blank) with the 1/4" square with red X in it up in the left corner. Not a thing otherwise...WTH is going on?
I don't know fellas, I can't get it to work. I think I need one of them nerds from the Geek Squad to land here with one of those backpack rocket propeller things and get this straightened out. I even tried outsmarting this thing by putting a few layers of tape on the nosepiece of my glasses...still nothin'.
This is a shot in the dark here...you wouldn't have a pop up blocker that's blocking access? Or maybe your security settings are to high? I'm no computer whiz either.. Hope you get on soon as we need your help to solve some of the worlds problems...lol
I thought that's what OCR was working on. You sayin' I was wrong? :tong
Lol....noooo..all you guys on chat are very knowledgeable and fun to talk to... and...that fits Lowboy to a tee.. Hope he gets it figured out.. Yeah, OCR is a thinker and he does have an answer for everything..lol..I think he has help though...Wikipedia...
I have no idea what Lowboy's difficulty stems from. :beatsme I'll call it to the attention of the tech. Now, 95zIV, I have an answer for--Similar to RnR's illegal character, for some reason the software considers usernames that begin with numbers to be illegal. I've changed usernames for a couple of guys and it cured that problem. Anything geekier than that is beyond my level of expertise, and I can't fricasse a possum either, so Jed might have an advantage on me anyway... :bash
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but seems as though digger242j just used a cuss word in talking about possums...(could be wrong though, I was once't.) Grader4me, I just turned pop up blocker OFF, and added HEF as a compatible website because something asked me to. Still same deal. Blank box, 1/4" square with red "X" in upper left corner. Maybe OCR can solve this problem...
LowBoy, do you have Java enabled and current? It's required to run the chat program.
If you meant "fricasse", maybe you were right. I had it misspelled. It's "fricassee". So, if I got this right, Steve says you need to make possum fricassee, and wash it down with a cup of Java...
LoL...might cause a fracas if you don't spell possum fricassee correctly. :tong Heck, let's make it a feast and serve up some squirrel dumplings as well.
works for me and am chatting right now...
It totally is on my end now that I've joined another forum tonight with the same exact format as here...I still can't chat on the other forum either. How the heck did we all go from diagnosing my technical problem, to sounding like Grandpa Jones on Hee Haw when they asked him "What's fer Supper"...:beatsme I asked a couple questions in the geek patrol thread, and the next thing I know someone's serving up "possum friccassee with cornbread toppin, deep fried crappies still a'floppin, the best dern grits this side 'o the lake, and all the trimmins from dermaters to hotcakes"...:notworthy It's bringing back some really, really bad memories...:cool2 I just fixed a pot of Java for the morning. All I gotta do is hit the switch in the morning. All kidding aside (now that I've made a complete ignoranimous of myself,) I do have a version of Java installed, but have to look at which it is. Might there be a particular version required on HEF (or other sites too,) to operate the chat function correctly?
LoL...that's funny. :lmao That's about the way we are on chatroom as well...never know what will be the topic of discussion. :tong
yup....
trying to get to the chat room and this is what i get: We were unable to return you to HeavyEquipmentForums Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem. What you can do: Go to your home page Try to return to HeavyEquipmentForums More information When a website causes a failure or crash, Internet Explorer attempts to restore the site. It stops after two tries to avoid an endless loop. I think i downloaded the latest cup of coffee... i mean Java. Any ideas?
That's the same thing that's happening to me since I downloaded Java's latest version...But I still think it's on my end because I get the same thing on another site powered by vBulletin...I've unblocked pop ups, set security settings lower, I'm still missing something.
Why don't you try uninstalling Java and reinstall it. Worth a try..
Good thinkin', busy today, but later on I'll be wearing my Bill Gates goggles and see what becomes of it.:drinkup
Heck, even when you're there, it's still hard to figure out what the topic of the discussion is....lol.
G4me your a genious. Uninstalled all of the Java on my computer and reloaded. I was able to get to the chat page but had another problem. No one was there to chat with I'll try it later on when there is more people around. thanks for the help
Happy it worked for you! Pssttt...tell Grandpa about the genius thing will ya?
I'll be the one to bring it to everone's attention G4me...you ARE a GENIOUS! I uninstalled Java, and now the chat works!:notworthy Now, if I could only get this stinking Weather Channel desktop program uninstalled...:Banghead
Glad it worked for you! We usually hit the chat later on in the evenings..see ya there!