Hey folks! Newbie here, I bought my neighbor's 1967 Case 580CK for 2K and trying to fix it up so I can do the earthworks on my 5 acre food forest in the making down here in Naples, southwest Florida. I'm a pretty good hobby-mechanic, I've been fixing my motorcycles and cars since I was a teenager, but this rig is a bit different! I had no problem fixing tires, replacing hoses, repacking cylinders, but need help with the clutch and the power steering. The engine is running fine btw and asides from some leaks the backhoe/loader system also works. 1. Clutch - doesn't work at all, can't put it in gear, also the lever on the left side on the steering wheel doesn't work. I assume the clutch is separate from the loader/backhoe hyd system, is that right? With it's own pump and fluid reservoir? Where do I add fluid and what kind of? Is regular hyd fluid OK? 2. Steering - the fluid level was low so we topped it off with red power steering fluid. The steering wheel was spinning too easy and the wheels weren't moving at all. We tried to bleed it by loosening hyd lines at the cylinders, a lot of air came out and the steering became heavier, rods will move a half inch but that's it. Do we need to bleed it more or what else can we try? Some basic troubleshooting steps would be much appreciated for both! Unfortunately I don't have a service manual yet, but will get one soon. Thanks in advance for any input! Rob
Update: 1. Changed oil in torque converter, it was very foamy/whitish. If I put it in first gear before I start the engine then rev it up, the right rear wheel spins off as the tractor tries to move, but it can't move because the front wheels are out of whack and also half buried in sand.. but this means that the clutch does work somewhat, right? But I still can't shift while the engine is running so there's gotta be some issue. 2. No change on the steering.. how do you change to power steering fluid btw? Can't see any drain plugs..
The fluid in the convertor and shuttle may need to flushed a couple of times. Assume this is a power shuttle machine? Use Case TCH or their more expensive version. Any other lube can be a problem on these shuttles. There will be a filter in front of the radiator that you also need to change out. You may have some improvement once the oil is clean and warmed up but when the shuttles get on, they can be slow to get going. As far as shifting gears while the engine is running, I have the same problem. My solution is to select the gear I want to use and leave it there. Start the machine in gear but with the shuttle in the neutral position. If you don't already have the manuals, get them, they will help you understand the different parts and where the different types of lube are checked and added. Lots of experienced guys on here, I'm not one but given some time, they will chime in with suggestions. Brakes are a potential problem but they are not worth much even in good order. The power steering pump has a filter under the cover you should change if not already. I can't recall what the procedure is to bleed the PS system but the manual should help. Good luck, Jess
Could you explain the front wheels are out of whack ??? Whenever you are stuck, raise the loader and roll the front bucket to the dump position then lower the loader and raise the front end of the tractor. Ease the tractor into reverse and roll the bucket at the same time to push yourself backwards. To completely flush the power steering disconnect one hose at a time on the cylinders and extend or retract the cylinder to flush all of the oil out of each side of the piston. It will require two people to do it. You cannot allow the pump to run out of oil when doing the flushing. If you have a shuttle shift transmission check the shift linkage neutral position. It may not be in neutral when it appears to be.
Thanks guys, It turns out the shuttle lever was stuck because of the jammed rod at the control valve.. sprayed it with WD40 and gently tapped it until it came lose. The clutch also started to work after the oil change and some back and forth in gear 1. And yes, I need to replace all those filters too. The front wheels are fine I think they just have to much free-play I guess the bearings are worn out. I'm still struggling with the power steering though.. after some more bleeding it started to work somewhat but it's very slow.. it takes 4-6 turns to the left and 10-12 to the right for a full turn.. I'll try to bleed some more I guess!
probably takes heavier fluid than red power steering fluid,,, most equipement does
usaually do bleeding by turning steering wheel all way to right and holding for a few seconds,, do the same for left keep topped with fluid
Oh, I didn't know that.. what kind? Can I just pick up some universal ps fluid at a tractor supply store?
Got it, thanks. Should I just bleed it at the cylinders, or try somewhere else too? My neighbor suggested I try bleeding the lines at the steering wheel as it's the highest point.
hyd fluid yes should bleed its self without taking lines loose,,,,,,,,,,,just like a car will do
oh lift wheel off ground when turning
When did the steering problem start ? It sounds like you may need to reseal the steering cylinders.
My neighbor said it was working when he last used it about 5 years ago.. but considering that all 12 backhoe/loader cylinders are leaking, it makes sense to repack these 2 too!
If your front wheels are loose, check the spindles as well as the wheel bearings. If not properly set up and regularly greased, they will be worn out. You can get new ends for the axle and good used spindles from most aftermarket dealers or the salvage places. I did mine and got the ends and a good used spindle from Draper Tractor in Spokane Wash. Ihad a machine shop remove the old ends and weld on the replacements then new bearings, seals and shims. Lots of other other sources as this is Ag tractor stuff. Jess