Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

no electric power

gilmour101 ยท 2014-11-08 02:05

Hello all I have a 79 JD410D backhoe and when using it the other day it shut down as if running out of fuel. Found to have no electrical power on anything. The battery is good and I can turn it over by jumping the starter but it will not start. Checking the power from the battery to the starter is good and then to one of the breakers but not the other. The breaker that has power into it has a ground coming out, using a meter across the breaker reads the battery voltage. Suggestions? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1kshansen2014-11-08 07:29

    If I'm following what you say it sounds like what ever this breaker feeds has a short to ground. Could be a wire rubbed through or a failure in what ever it feeds. Then again if the breaker is feeding say the main power relay through the key switch and you are testing with switch on what you are seeing as a ground coming out of the breaker could just be the normal draw through the windings of the relay. Need to find a wiring diagram to see what the breaker feeds then disconnect whatever it is and test again to see if problem is still there and work your way back towards the breaker till you find the problem. Then again it could be that on a 1979 machine the breaker is just bad. To check that you could install a new breaker or jumper the one you have with a inline fuse of the same rating. I would NOT advise by-passing the breaker because if there is a short you could have a major meltdown of the wiring and backhoe. Hope this makes some sense, only had one cup of coffee on a Saturday morning!

  2. #2gilmour1012014-11-08 07:58

    Thanks for the reply. I did jumper the switch briefly w/ the interior light on and holding the horn and neither worked. I have new breakers on order but I'm hopefully going out to it today to take the cowl off and start searching through the wires for a ground as that is the only thing I can come up with being wrong with it

  3. #3Delmer2014-11-08 09:19

    I may be way off because I've never seen that 410, but are you sure they're breakers and not relays? The JDs that I've seen have two relays, a start relay and an accessory relay, but you should still have power to the key switch, and I think the key switch powers the injection pump directly so I'd start at the key switch. Obviously the key switch should have power all the time, regardless of the relays function.

  4. #4gilmour1012014-11-10 19:31

    So I finally got back to it. I just ran a positive wire to the fuel solenoid and got it started and back to the garage. They are breakers and checking w/ the meter shows I have a short circuit somewhere I just haven't found it yet.