Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No oil in chains

five20too ยท 2012-01-21 23:29

So I have a Mustang 2086 that I bought and used for about 40 hours. I finally got all of my filters and oils and decided to do a full service on it according to a 500 hour interval. When I pulled the drain plugs for the chain housings nothing came out. I looked inside the fill plug holes and I could see oil residue on the chains and internal parts. I filled the housings with the proper oil and didn't find any leaks. I plan on running it for 20 hours and then draining the oil and checking chain tension. In use prior to checking this I never felt a chain jump, even when digging into a big hill of dirt. Any ideas on how much damage could have been done and should I go ahead and buy new chains and install them? Anyone know how much I would be looking to spend if I did have to replace them? Thanks for any help.

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2012-01-22 00:01

    As long as they are adjusted up to spec - I wouldn't worry about changing them. When you run out of adjustment & they are loose , then plan to replace. Something to look at is visually check if all the rollers are still OK on the chains. Bearing suppliers sell chain in 10' lengths (usually make 2 chains out of 10') - over here, depending on the make & quality anything from $100 - $300 a length. Recommend Diamond & Subaki.

  2. #2five20too2012-01-22 10:30

    Alrman thanks for the info. I will check them when I am I installing my new tires, whenever they get here.