i have just bought a deere 328 that we will use on our hog farm to clean out hoop buildings with straw manure pack. the loader has ott grouser tracks with the factory tires. how tight can i make the tracks without worrying about damaging my drive sysytem.
I like running them loose, especially if there is a good chance of getting material in the tracks. The problem you can have by running them tighter to start with is if you get manure dropping on the tracks and then your tire pinches the material between the tracks as it carrys it around the tire your tracks are now very tight. Especially mulching when limbs get caught in the tracks I keep mine plenty loose. I have never had any trouble with the tires slipping in the tracks. I would also suggest getting a set of Mclaren Nu Air type air less tires or foam fill your own tires. Getting flats sucks, getting flats with tracks sucks worse.
1.) I Guess it depends on the type of tracks ...... if they are the grouser style, can cause problems including excessive wear ... but then again not TOO tight ! 2.) again it depends on the type of tracks ..... solid robber : I would agree 3.) I HAVE had slippage even with the tracks taunt .... what a pain in the ***.... had it happen when I was almost vertcal climb (mulching on @ a Ski Resort hill widening out the runs against the tree line) in BLACK LOAMY SLIPPERY BOTTOMLESS **** ...it was like some one sabotaged my tires with axle grease 4.) That would be my next investment .... something like the Mclarens if I had the extra cash sitting around...I'm running Gel in my tires and it helps alot
Craft what type of tracks are you running? I have the Loegren Trail Blazers, which are now know as the F track I believe. These have the large pads on them. Great floatation. Mine have a lot of sag, but they never slip and if I get something in the track its not a big deal even if it goes all the way around the tire before I catch it. If I was running them tighter certainly something would give. On my last project I was concerned that they might slip given how steep the grades were, but I have never slipped. That might have something to do with the NuAirs or maybe the traction bars inside the tracks are particularily aggressive.
They are the Grouser Brand .... most all of the time they clear really good but when you get into mud it can pitch a larger rock in sideways and it'll stop you dead in your tracks (pardon the pun) ....I noticed that Rob over at Skid-steer solutions is selling the same kind of tracks as the Grouser ....he does post (on his site) that they are manufactured under patend approval I Am very happy with these kind .... these track have been wearing well, they were part of a package deal I got when I bought that Jd 8875 back in '97....but as anything it can have its draw backs ...... even a designated tracked machine (like my Cat excavators) or a MTL/CTL skids can have the same issues with rocks or large branches ect.
ksss my tracks are grouser bar tracks fairly open design. when you change the bushings and bolts on your tracks do you always replace the links as well. thanks
I have yet to replace my bushings. But I would likely not replace my links unless they were stretched and/or I was breaking them. I would run them as loose as you can and not have your tires spin in your tracks. There is no substantial benefit to running them tighter except some additional degree of increase floation (which Grousers with the open design doesn't provide much of anyway). The more loose the less the strain on the running gear. My thoughts anyway.
Just asking fellas, seems this thread is less about a tire question and more about an over track track discussion. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to title thread "Over tire track questions"?
I have had slippage under a hard push, esp with wet tires and older tracks (Grouser) when the little ridge on the inside of the track (that contacts the tire) gets "smoothed out" a little. I usually run about a 2" or better sag between the tires at the top. Yes rocks get in there, especially when cutting through the side of a pile, one time I had a big round rock fall in between the tires and onto the tracks, now it was on my big Gehl with a 55" WB. I had to put a chain around it and yank it out with the excavator!