Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

no power

Willis Bushogin ยท 2010-03-24 21:58

I bought a 1998 Ford Louisville, quad dump, Cat 3306, 10 speed. Very good looking truck and it runs strong for a 3306, until yesterday. It lost power, like a fuel filter, I changed it again, even though I done normal maintenance last week. Test drove the truck and it lost power about a mile down the road. To make the story shorter, I changed the hand primer pump(it had debris in it) changed the fuel suction hose. Test drove same thing, changed the fuel transfer pump, test drove, same thing. I finally got smart and 1. put a pressure guage on the filter housing outlet side (5lb) I hooked up a hose directly fron the transfer pump to a bucket of fuel (40lb) Hummm Ive got a restriction from the tank to the pump, take the hose off the fuel tank and add a extension hose to a bucket of fuel (40 lb) try to blow back into the tank, no good. Finally drained the fuel and took the tank off, took the suction pipe out and it was clear. I didnt notice any odd amount of debris in the tank, when I drained it, now I am about to go bonkers. I forgot to add, I have it at a very good repair shop, that deals with this crap everyday. I take a coat hanger and bend a hook on the end of it and start feeling around in the area of where the suction pipe goes, amazing I hook something, I pull it out and its a shop rag. You couldnt see this area, because of the baffle in the tank. Weld the suction pipe back in and hook everything up and start the engine, boom 40 lb fuel pressure The moral of the story is, if anyone has low power issue, after doing the normal filter thing, install a pressure gauge on the fuel filter housing (outlet side) take the plug out and screw a gauge in this area and check it out from there. I know thats what we should have done but I had several issues and I had to work through them (leaking primer pump, hose debris in primer primer pump) What I dont understand is why we couldnt blow back into the suction pipe, into the tank, one would think that if the rag was caught up on the suction tube, that 120lbs of shop air would blow it off the tube, but old no and when we removed the tube, there was no rag in the tube unless it came out when we pulled it out Truck has run 6 hrs so far and no issues Hope this helps someone

Replies10
  1. #1Oldiron2010-03-24 22:38

    Thanks for posting that information , I had a similar thing happen with a Detroit powered crane, Every once in a while it would starve for fuel , did the filter change and the blow the line out . I put pressure and vac guages in the system found hi vacuum on the draw side, blow the line and it's ok , and it would be good for a while and then it would do it again finally pulled the tank cover and was going to change the suction line. but when I pulled the line off the dip tube it was pretty much empty , so I pulled the dip tube (threaded) and then pulled a vac test, lots of vac ??? I blew the line out and got 3 or 4 pieces of wood shavings out . mystery to me why they didn't blow out when I reverse blew the line at the primary filter :beatsme Very similar

  2. #2Coleman3962010-05-02 16:30

    Extra mileage out of old gloves. I have been told that lot's of guys get rid of the old Monkey Face gloves by putting them into the fuel tank of hoes,log loaders etc. That's after getting stiffed by a guy for pay or being treated poorly It won't get your money but might make you feel better!

  3. #3Steve Frazier2010-05-02 20:53

    I had that problem on my mower. It ran out of power like a plugged filter and there was no improvement with a change. I finally pulled the tank and flushed it, and out came a foil gum wrapper. One of my guys must have dropped it when fueling, it was clogging the pick up tube.

  4. #4Heavyduty2010-05-03 19:56

    Willis, glad your back in business. I have a question about the inspection on my F-800 with air brakes that I'm getting back on the road in NC. I used to do my own periodic inspections (little yellow sticker)and I could renew my reg. on my truck with no problems. Now they say I have a block because of the new law. Do I need a state inspection also.

  5. #5Willis Bushogin2010-05-03 20:21

    inspection I just heard the same thing today, I guess I need to find out, because I need to renew license plates on one of my trucks. I will let you know if I find out

  6. #6Heavyduty2010-05-03 20:42

    Just found out that we need a safety inspection once a year to keep from getting blocked by DMVs computer. Shouldn't be too bad. I liked being able to buy the stickers $2 and going through the check list myself. The govment needs the $$$, I reckon. Oh well, need to find someone to do a "decent" safety inspection. Always something.:bash

  7. #7Willis Bushogin2010-05-03 21:14

    inspection I just talked to a friend of mine and he says he thinks that the new law is for trucks under 26,000 lbs. Its the same as the regular car and pickup inspection and can be done by a regular shop. I am going to check on this tomorrow, of course all my trucks are 54,000 lb plus and I hope I am not looking at a new law for these trucks.

  8. #8Heavyduty2010-05-03 21:33

    I went to the NC DMV website also and under FAQ's under reg., it said all heavy trucks over 8,000 lb. need a safety inspect at a offical state inspect place. Once they inspect your truck, it's cleared on the state data base. Let me know if you find a loophole around this. My F-800 is listed at 26,001 lbs. The DMV said I had a block for a exp. inspection and the lady did'nt have any answers to my ????'s.

  9. #9Heavyduty2010-05-04 17:25

    Here's a update. Went to another plate agency this morning and took my Federal annual report checklist (truck copy). The lady said that she could use that as a safety inspect and called Raleigh on the spot to have the block removed. I have painfully learned that you can get very diffrent outcomes depending on what mood, age, or kindness of the person your dealing with on anything having to do with the DMV, DOT, and plate ageny.:Banghead

  10. #10Willis Bushogin2010-05-07 19:11

    inspection I found out today that if its over 26,000 lb, you dont need a copy of the inspection, but if its under 26,000 lbs, you need a copy of inspection or have it inspected by a shop that is connected to states website (like a automobile)