I just am just starting to learn how to drive this truck. My father in law owns it, and he says it is down on power. I have nothing to compare it to so it feels decent I guess. I know that inline 6's are the best engine as far as balancing, but this thing has a little shimmy to it while it idles. He thinks it might be missing, and I almost sounds like it is through the lower rpm range. The truck is an L9000 with a 3406 Cat. The tag on the engine just says 3406 so I dont know if its a B or what. It does have a mechanical pump though. It is backed by an 8LL, although I don't think that makes much difference. It needs a clutch brake really bad though. I almost forgot, when you start it up in the morning, it blows bluish-white smoke for about 10 minutes. It will actually do it any time the truck cools off. When it first starts the smoke can get kind of thick. I know what colors of smoke indicate on a gas engine, but I always get it mixed up on the diesels. Im sorry this post is a little long, just looking for some places to start checking to see what the problem could be. Thanks for looking, Joey
the 3406 should only smoke white for a few seconds when it first fires, when was the last time the valve lash was set . the other thing that make them smoke is timing advance problems.
I'll bet there a bad head gasket. That would cause the low power plus allow coolant in the cylinders to make the smoke you speak of. When the truck is cool, pull the radiator cap and start it. Watch to see if you get bubbles perking out of the coolant and watch the motor oil close for water.
If it turns out to have some water in her and turns out with a blown head gasket. I would check the after cooler out I had a 3406 and it was twice or three times this happened before we found out this was the problem all along.
With that mechanical injection you could crack the lines one at a time and see if one doesn't make a difference, to check for a miss. And if you tackle the crappy job of removing that old clutch brake, you can easily install a two piece new one.
FORD F:for O nly R:retarded D:drivers
That's like asking for a lynching party to come calling.
Good idea, i have seen a few trucks that only run on 5cyl when cold, blows lots of white-grey smoke because of unburnt diesel. We just let them go as they go fine once warmed up. How many kms has it done? it may have done millions without a rebuild. Nick
Not knowing what all you have checked, but a few things you might look at are the fuel system components like the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel pump pressure, and injector lines