Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No safety lockout solenoid??

12ValveHyundai · 2020-04-02 21:42

Hey guys, I have a 2000ish Hyundai 210LC-3. It was pretty neglected and has tons of little issues to sort through, and what better time to tinker than quarantine time? So today I decided to tackle my non functioning safety lockout for the second time. The first time I found that the lever wasn’t activating the switch, which does work, but sorting that didn’t actually fix it. Hydraulics still work whether the lever is up or down. I don’t have a diagram for the fuse/relay box so I decided to test the solenoid, my service manual sucks pretty hard but the gist I got was that it should be directly after the filter that’s directly after the pilot pump. There is a distribution block after the filter that feeds the control banks among other stuff, I’m no hydraulic mechanic so it looks like spaghetti to me but my guess is that the solenoid should be in that distribution block. There isn’t one, but there is a plug lying underneath it that gets full power when the safety lever in the cab is down. Thoughts?

Replies21
  1. #112ValveHyundai2020-04-02 22:16
  2. #212ValveHyundai2020-04-02 22:17

    Hope those pictures show up

  3. #3Batkom2020-04-03 17:23

    2nd picture down, shaft above your hand should most likely hove a solenoid on it. If I am seeing correctly that is the tube that the solenoid slips over. Inside the tube there is the mechanism - valve that the solenoid body, when energized moves. I am sure there will be somebody come along that can tell you for sure that’s the one, and where to get a new one.

  4. #4Vetech632020-04-03 18:43

    Like said above, your electrical coil is missing. It almost looks like a piece of pipe instead of a valve stem.

  5. #512ValveHyundai2020-04-03 19:53

    You know, I was wondering about that pipe, but I’ve never seen anything quite like it before and couldn’t figure out what it was for, and I figured if it was the lockout that it would be at the front of the block rather than the back. You guys are awesome! So my next thought is that it should probably be normally closed, which suggests that it’s hooped with or without the coil. I just called the local Hyundai dealer and amazingly he figures they have one, so I’ll head into town Monday and see if it matches up. Thanks!!!

  6. #612ValveHyundai2021-04-30 12:15

    Since I'm here, I figure I should post an update. I still haven't fixed this but that's because that type of solenoid valve isn't spec'd on north american parts sheets. After a lot of digging it seems that there was a -5 series of machines, dealer says they don't exist and that Hyundai went straight from -3 to -7 but it seems in the rest of the world the later model -3's are actually -5's and Hyundai never bothered updating parts sheets for north america. I'm working on nailing down a -5 valve. Dealer has been pretty useless so I'm on my own with it. One day it'll be fixed...

  7. #7excavator2021-04-30 12:24

    There appears to be 3 more solenoids on the block behind it. Look in your manual to find out what they are. One of them would likely be for 2 speed travel, remove that one and put it on the lockout solenoid to find out if that circuit is working. If it is then take that solenoid to a hydraulic shop and see if they can get one for you.

  8. #8heymccall2021-04-30 13:31

    You're gonna need the whole cartridge, stem and coil. Someone bent the top after depressing the mechanical override, so as to stay in the ON position. I need serial number, or at least, the prefix.

  9. #9uffex2021-04-30 13:45

    Good day A tip to find the control lock out solenoid follow the delivery hose from the pilot pump the first valve you meet is that you are looking for right next to the accumulator. Attached may be helpful. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10uffex2021-04-30 13:49

    Ommited from previous

  11. #11uffex2021-04-30 13:55

    Good day A thought if the coil is missing there is more to the fault you need power to activate the valve and operate the machine simply removing the coil would disable the machine.there may be an override device. Kind regards Uffex

  12. #1212ValveHyundai2021-04-30 14:28

    The circuit is fine, I sorted that out first. The valve has been overridden, I've had it out of the block, it just needs to be replaced for this system to work properly

  13. #1312ValveHyundai2021-04-30 14:36

    I intend to replace the whole deal. Luckily the serial plate on the machine has been bashed and some of it is illegible. The stem of the valve is 16mm

  14. #1412ValveHyundai2021-04-30 14:38

    The valve itself has been disabled. You can see it by my hand in the second pic, it's missing its coil. There's no override. I've had the valve out, you can see that it's been messed with to have all the ports open

  15. #15heymccall2021-04-30 16:21
  16. #1612ValveHyundai2021-04-30 16:38

    That sure does look like it. Do you know what the differences are between the coils? Or do you think they're interchangeable

  17. #17heymccall2021-04-30 17:16

    Nope. Either voltage (12 vs 24) or connector difference, I would surmise. Never worked on a Hitachi.

  18. #1812ValveHyundai2021-04-30 17:28

    Just did some googling and you're right, different voltages. Thanks a bunch, this gives me something to go back to the dealer with

  19. #19heymccall2021-04-30 18:11

    Just know that I am not certain of either part number, valve or solenoid. I tried to find dimensions.

  20. #2012ValveHyundai2021-04-30 19:51

    Very helpful regardless, at least I have part numbers for the dealer to get something in my hands to verify if it will work.

  21. #2112ValveHyundai2021-05-03 19:21

    Well, no luck. That valve is sooooo close, and it would work if I could install it, but the thread size and pitch is wrong. It's too big. It might be possible to have a machine shop drill and rethread the block but I'm going to leave that as a last resort. The dealer is going to take another crack at it tomorrow, but it's starting to look like the valve I need just doesn't exist.