Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No start issue with my 580K case backhoe.

Rick James · 2024-02-01 07:01

I’ve had this Great machine since 2006 it’s a 1987 580K backhoe. So I try to start it and nothing.I’m thinking natural safety switch,so I climb under and I found that one wire was off and the ends on both bullet connectors literally rotTed off. So I put new connectors on then I go to start it and it starts right away, I go to shut it off and it won’t shut off so I push the manual throutlet down and it stalls. Now it won’t start,won’t even crank over. Hummm. I figured I better order a new key switch so I did (it’s not hear yet) .So then I’m thinking the starter relay might need changing. Napa had one on the shelf. So I remove the seat( real hard to get at it especially at my age,)two hours to clean all the connections and nothing,won’t start,won’t crank. Now I’m stuck,waiting for the switch. I’d like to jump the switch but it didn’t work,yet. Had to walk away. Anybody’s thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Replies16
  1. #1HarleyHappy2024-02-01 09:33

    Need to check battery connections, especially the ground and check power at starter, sounds like the starter solenoid.

  2. #2alrman2024-02-01 14:49

    Welcome to HEF @Rick James On a 580K, the starter relay is located under the hood release flap. Looking down into the area under the flap, there are two relays on LHS, below the hyd filler cap, if I recall correctly. One is for starter & other is for return to dig. You can swap them to check operation.

  3. #3mhobson2024-10-20 09:43

    Thank you for that. I looked where you said, I could only find one relay, dangling in mid air, which did not click when the ignition switch was turned to start, is this likely to be the one, photos attached, 5 connections.

  4. #4Simon C2024-10-20 21:01

    Before throwing money at these units , its usually a good idea to do some simple checks and inexpensive repairs. Good to test at starter S-Terminal if there is 12volt power coming to it with key switch held in start position. If unit cranks with live battery power touching the S-Terminal , then you know your starter is okay, but your control circuit is deficient. Good to test from battery positive to S-Terminal of key switch with key held in start position to see how much loss you have in Key switch start circuit. Good to test from Key switch S-Terminal to S-Terminal of starter for how much loss in potential. If your not sure about any of these tests, just say so and I will walk you through it. Simon C

  5. #5DanDavis2024-10-20 23:13

    If the starter cannot work properly, it may need to be replaced. Sometimes, even if the starter looks at work (you can hear the clicks), it may not be able to provide enough torque to start the engine. try to skip the starting relay to test this, make sure you know how to perform this operation correctly, otherwise it may cause further damage I hope this could help D Davis

  6. #6mhobson2024-10-21 09:32

    Dan, the starter works fine as long as there is current at the trigger cable, but there was no current there. As soon as current is applied it works fine and strongly. As Simon suggests there must be an issue in the switch or cabling. I did replace the starter relay, but no change it didn't cost much, but had it worked it would have been an easy fix. I will have to check the current to the switch, from the switch to relay and from the relay to the starter, it is all a bit difficult to get to and I need someone to help and turn the switch, my wife finds it very difficult to get in the cab. Thank you both, watch this space!

  7. #7Willie B2024-10-21 11:52

    I have two adult sons & a couple extras. We aren't real good at keeping track of the key. It you don't have a key, it's easy to hot wire. After a frustrating time of it won't start I was talking by phone with my son at School 100 miles away. "I hot wired it last weekend, did I put a wire back in the wrong place?" Problem solved.

  8. #8Tinkerer2024-10-22 07:38

    Don't forget about the neutral start switch. Connectors in the wire harness are another common problem. They may be loose and or corroded.

  9. #9mhobson2024-11-07 05:36

    Still having a problem, I think that I would like to take a cable directly from the starter switch position to the starter relay, there is high amp power on the red cable at the bottom of the relay plug, I just need to get low amp power to the relay to get the starter to turn, as I said if you jump the high amp red cable to the starter trigger cable it starts straight away, I think that somewhere in the loom there is a break, if I could bypass it I might get it running. Which terminal on the starter switch goes to the starter relay?

  10. #10Simon C2024-11-07 15:12

    Usually it is stamped S or C unless it has the number designations, which you will find on some. Hope that helps. Simon C

  11. #11Tinkerer2024-11-08 07:16

    Or, probe the ignition switch terminals with a VOM while turning the the key on and off to the start position. If the switch is defective you will find that out also.

  12. #12mhobson2024-11-08 09:30

    Four options, ACC, IGN, GRD, BAT. Power gets to the switch, with first click power turns on and buzzer sounds, next click against the spring I hear a slight click somewhere below (not the starter relay) but no current gets to the starter relay. I wonder if the switch itself is a bit iffy, don't know how to test it. I had just hoped to take a cable directly from the switch to the starter relay.

  13. #13mhobson2024-11-08 09:32

    I will remove the switch and see what happens when I put my meter on it, but as I said when in the starter position I can hear a click below so something is making contact.

  14. #14stinky642024-11-08 09:39

    Any chance that clicking you hear is a loose/corroded wire arcing? Maybe get someone else to turn key while you locate the click and put your hands on the source. Just an idea.

  15. #15Tinkerer2024-11-09 11:58

    Which model (series) 580K do you have ? There are two -- 580K and 580K series 3. There is no series 2. There are fuses in the circuit for the relays. Have you checked them ?

  16. #16mhobson2024-11-11 11:32

    Well, the digger starts, I am not sure what I have done to achieve that, but I am extremely grateful to the input from such helpful members. In the space behind the starter switch and gauges panels the cables seem to have suffered severe butchery. Loads of red electrical tape covering questionable attachments. I found two pairs of cables each with a live and earth just dangling which should easily have fused, had they touched, however I found no blown fuses, I secured and tightly taped the ends. The digger is going to have to be sold, useful though it is, I am on pension, short of cash and the digger is hardly used. I will keep my Case 485 tractor though which your members have also helped me with. Thank you all very much.