can nozzle cause knocking sound in an engine
YES.. Loosen each inj. line 1 at a time to narrow down to a cylinder.. THEN swap the inj. to another hole to see if the knock follows.
If the noise does not swap with nozzle swap start looking for engine repairs.
Mr Dmiller I don't understand what you mean by swap with nozzle
*
Pull from one cylinder, swap to another and move that one to the knocking hole. The knock moves Nozzle bad, the knock stays same hole big issue. Scored liners, well worn pistons, cracked pistons, bad bearings, wrist pin bushings, even just excessive head carbon from bad fuel delivery can happen.
If it helps you understand the idea of swapping the injectors as these guys are telling you to maybe this will make more sense. Just a longer version of what DMiller just said! If you do as thepumpsguy said in the first reply and just for discussion sake, say when you loosen the fuel line on number two cylinder there is a very noticable change in the noise but all the other don't seem to make much if any difference. The idea is to then take the injector out of number two cylinder and exchange it with one out of another cylinder, lets say number four. Once the two injectors have been moved to each others cylinders repeat the test of loosening the fuel lines. If no loosening the line on number four makes a big difference in the sound but loosening the line on number two does not seem to make any difference this tells you the injector, being the only thing you moved, is the problem. If on the other hand the noise still only changes when you loosen the line on number two the injector was not the problem and you need to look deeper. In that case refer to DMiller's post right above this one.
Can't loosen an injector line on a common rail engine.....
Thank you very much sir
If is a later electronic engine, we used a test light as one would use to test lighting circuits to basically cancel out each injector on the old 3406E. I cannot remember which lead to the injectors we would touch thru the connector plug but one would feed to the test lamp and the cylinder would be cancelled.
This is one good reason why giving enough information up front is important! I went back to the start of this thread and see that there was no mention of what the engine was of any kind. If there is a question, on say a Cat machine, the bare minimum that should be given is the Model number and S/N prefix, preferably the complete S/N as those Cat engineers do like making changes!
Mr kshansen the model of the engine is 3306 and i can't fine the serial number
Cut the oil filter apart and spread out the pleats if there is a bearing failure it should show up in the filter. If it's an older glow plug engine a bad nozzle can sound like a rod knock. What is the engine in ?
A picture of the engine showing the injection system is usually good enough. Shimmy, I tried loosening the injector line on my engine last night and couldn't, does that mean it's a common rail? All I can find is the letters "B&S"...
Bad day, Delmer?
I have inter change the nozzle the noise is Still there. I have to remove the nozzle again and poured oil into all the Chambers and i revolve the engine then fixed the nozzle back. Start the engine the noise reduce it wasn't much as before. What do you think i should do next
Is the noise in the same cylinder? Did you find one cylinder that changed the noise when you loosened the injector line?
Yes. The noise was still there. But after pouring engine oil in Chambers the noise reduce.
And you will only hear the noise only when you accelerate the engine.
I would suspect scored cylinder or possible extreme wear. How many hours on the machine?
I don't understand what you mean by How many hours on the machine
What does the hourmeter read?
Should have a hours meter on the dash or at least on the engine. How many on it and has anything ever been done to it as far as overhaul or other extensive repairs?
I will check the hour meter, but it was not up to two weeks i under bed the engine.
I had a knocking engine last year. Perkins 4.236. Thought the worst. Moved injectors around and the noise stayed. Loaded the fuel tank with fresh fuel and an overload of Lucas injector cleaner and k100 cleaner. Gently ran her for maybe 30 minutes at idle here and there when all of sudden........ knock went away. The reason my engine knocked was due to a carbon build up on the pistols causing a hot spot. I don't use my machine often, and most of its use is just off idle or very light throttle. Runs great once again. Hopefully yours will be the same.
So what is the motor in? A D7 , D6 , the mystery machine? What environment is it operating in? Quarry?
2 pages of questions from "helpers" & no answers from "poster"..?? Look at location.. Whats an hr meter.. lol FLAG IT.
I suspect the language translator is making it tough. He may not understand the questions. But I do wonder what a IP is?
Aaaaa? I'm thinking you meant to say pistons, only worked on a couple Perkins but don't think even those have pistols. Now I know there were some antique engines that used gun powder to start. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffman_engine_starter
You are correct Sir. Pistons. Dang tiny buttons on the touch screen and my lack of proofreading.