Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track reconnection

Ron · 2017-07-27 12:26

Where is the best place to position the master link to reconnect the track on a JD 450J? I'm thinking right on top of the idler, but this is not the kind of thing I want to figure out by trial and error.

Replies21
  1. #1DMiller2017-07-27 15:07

    Best is on the sprocket. Get the track drawn together and the sprocket will act as a third set of hands.

  2. #2Ron2017-07-27 16:19

    Thanks

  3. #3John C.2017-07-27 16:29

    I also depends if it is a bolt together master or a pin together for me. Sometimes the pin together is easier over the sprocket. It depends on if you have a track press or not. If no press you will have to use a slug and move the master to a low spot to be able to do the pounding. I usually have better luck on the master pads in front of the idlers. I put a block in front of the idler and use the sprocket to pull the slack out of the track. Then I'll use a come a long to pull the top over the front idler and down to meet the bottom end. Once they are sitting in the steps or alligator teeth I'll put the plate on and bolt it together. It also depends on how worn out the sprocket teeth are. Worn teeth will hold the track. New teeth and the chains like to slide back off.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2017-07-27 17:47

    Yair . . . . Crikey John C. I'm not quite with you there? Cheers.

  5. #5Ron2017-07-27 19:19

    Thanks for all the input everyone. My Brother in Law came over- we positioned the master link to the front of the idler, pulling the top of the track with the blade and a chain. We put 2 blocks under the rails to keep the track from sliding back. Flipped up bottom section, slapped the top section on it and put in the bolts. Total time 15 minutes. Barely broke a sweat (heat index = 105).

  6. #6Scrub Puller2017-07-28 00:05

    xxxx

  7. #7mitch5042017-07-28 03:32

    Scrub, what do the four Xs mean? I was picking on you the other day, and that's how you responded.

  8. #8Scrub Puller2017-07-28 03:59

    Yair . . . Gotcha mitch504. For some reason I sometimes open the site, click on new posts and I will see one of the regulars have responded to a thread. I click on the thread and the post does not appear until I post again so I Just put in the xxxx (it's our Aussie beer) and the posts tumble in. Sometimes there's a note saying there are more posts to be viewed. Hit that and another two or three posts I can't see (sometimes a previous post of my own) will appear like magic. I didn't explain that very well but perhaps you get my drift? Cheers.

  9. #9mitch5042017-07-28 04:23

    Yep, I get it. You know we speak the same language even if it's not quite english. I was almost afraid I had made you mad the other day, until I saw you use it more.

  10. #10Mark2502017-07-28 05:19

    Just to set the record straight ,we don't all drink xxxx beer ,Melbourne Bitter is my favourite beer down south Cheers Mark

  11. #11DMiller2017-07-28 06:25

    I drew a liking to Fosters Lager

  12. #12DMiller2017-07-28 07:49

    Would also LOVE to have split masters on my old Allis, master pin driving still sucks!

  13. #13farmerlund2017-07-28 22:33

    Scrub, try clicking on recent posts after you click on new posts. its on the right side.

  14. #14Delmer2017-07-28 22:52

    Yeah, all I can figure is he's getting a notification of a new post and it's just showing him THAT ONE new post. The recent posts link shows you posts going back from most recent. The "new posts" hides the ones you've already seen, because they're NOT NEW anymore. If that doesn't work, I'd try going on the site from a different computer to see if it's some saved settings that are messing you up.

  15. #15dennis sanders2017-08-10 01:21

    Lost me...not the first time...learn the unthinkable ever now and then...

  16. #16Cmark2017-08-10 03:21

    (Perhaps not so) interestingly, the Fosters brewery is right next door to our local Cat parts distribution warehouse. 27°44'50.5"S 153°13'54.2"E Not sure if it will work, but try to copy N paste in Google maps to get a look at our little corner of the planet.

  17. #17Queenslander2017-08-10 06:16

    Mmmmm... beeer, In my opinion, the only decent brew to come out of that establishment is Great Northern.

  18. #18Cmark2017-08-10 07:21

    Hey. I never said it was any good. Just where it was made!

  19. #19DMiller2017-08-10 10:13

    I was living in Salt Lake City UT at the time I found Foster's. We would go up to Jackson Hole WY to chase girls(only caught those that may have been of questionable virtue!) the local establishments had Foster's in HUGE 25oz/.7L cans set as six packs, would be hotel bound after we each finished our 'six packs'.

  20. #20seatwarmer2017-08-10 12:44

    this is what I call a beer http://windhoekbeer.com/za/our-range/windhoek-draught/

  21. #21DMiller2017-08-10 13:05

    My palate has matured since my days of drink til pass out!! We have some excellent micro breweries about us in the Midwest US. Here close by we have Tin Mill, Second Shift and Augusta Brewing, in Jefferson City we have Prison Brews, there is Trailhead and others in the Greater St. Louis region even more in KC and Columbia or Springfield. I am a enjoyer of dark beers with true draught Guinness or a true Black and Tan (had in Aurora IL of all places)as a preference anymore. Even got to where I enjoy a really good scotch although I tend to prefer good single barrel Bourbons.