Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Noisy steering on CAT 950M

Andrew Farrant ยท 2021-06-11 00:09

Hi, I have been operating this CAT 950M for awhile now, then today when I was turning on full lock, a rattling noise started coming from underneath. You can also feel the vibration through the steering wheel. The sound gets lounder with more revs, but doesn't change when you work the Hydraulics. It also doesn't seen to affect the steering. Does anyone have any ideas what this problem could be ?

Replies3
  1. #1absoluteyukon2021-06-11 20:01

    You should take a look at your driveline u-joints. If the noise/vibration frequency increases at higher rpms while the machine it in motion I would be looking there first.

  2. #2Nige2021-06-12 09:29

    Was the machine moving when you heard the noise.? Try steering when the machine is stopped with the brakes off. If there is no noise see the post above and for a start check the u-joints on the driveshaft across the articulation hitch.

  3. #3kevman62021-06-24 10:18

    Put a bar under the center support carrier bearing for the drive shaft. If it moves up and down, replace it