We got 2 new KW T880 quad dump trucks over the last summer and the u-joints are not greaseable. Was not specified in the build sheet. I asked my local driveline shop and they said they were a new thing and that they heard okay things about them. Does anyone else have these? How long do they last? Should I swap them out with standard greaseable ones sooner than later?
We've had them the last ten years, millions of miles on them--I think we lost one in that time.
Huh, I just did the front axle u-joints in my Case 580 and couldn’t find anything other than great able ones and that sucked. These days non greasable u-joints and suspension systems are the way to go, if they are quality parts.
Same here. No problems with them on the T370’s and T880’s. Although, we did have a few issues pre-delivery in the 18/19 timeframe with failed U-joints while the trucks were being delivered cross-country to catch the barge in Seattle. That cross country trip was a great shakeout to find problems before the trucks arrived in bush Alaska. The extra mileage was a blessing in disguise.
simply wait until they fail before changing them....then you can use ones with zerks.
When those start throwing a slight amount of grease on yokes--it's getting to be time. Otherwise those stay dry outside, but when changing and those can be tough to remove always replace mounting bolts and torque. It's not a good idea to reuse the bolts.