I was driving the dump truck the other day pulling the 7 ton mini on the trailer and about 3 ton of rock in the bed. Oil temp on the dash gauge was about 220-225 or so. What is the normal operating oil temperature? Went up a 500' hill and it was for sure at 225, maybe a touch more. Engine fan does come on. Water temp is fine.
May I ask what model c13 it is. Not that it will help I'm just curious if it's the dpf one of not in a 07
No DPF
The rule of thumb with the ACERT engines is Oil temp runs 20 degrees F more than water jacket temp.
Question is it the first time you noticed?
No. Truck was starting to read low oil pressure. Oil pressure was verified to be in Cat specs but on the low sides. Replaced Oil filter housing, and all relief valves. Replaced Oil cooler due to rubber deteriorating. Replaced Turbo mounting gasket, drain tube gasket, and oil supply gasket. Changed engine oil and filter. I almost never drive this truck. Sadly it sits most of the time. Vin 1NKDXU0X77J185524. Engine has been rebuilt but not by Cat.
So, all this was done after you noticed the oil temp? Or, what? My experience with a C13 was a dumpster fire. In 10k miles, it got an oil cooler, radiator (not necessarily the engines fault), turbo bolts broke, and started losing oil pressure. Then, after replacing the filter base and all relief valves/springs, it lost pressure again. I changed the oil filter in Butler's yard in Dickinson, added a gallon of oil and made it home. By the next day, the oil sample they took when they changed filter base had came back positive for coolant. They figured the coolant was clogging the oil filter (never quite understood that, but whatever). Sold the truck, guy that bought it made it 60 miles to Jamestown and parked it at a truck shop, it got a new water pump then (that we paid for). Guy put about 1000 miles on it, and then it got an overhaul for a cracked head. So, I ask again. Have you taken an oil sample since you were losing oil pressure?
Ah Ha--and the rest of the story.
No the repair work was done by a shop about a year ago. Since then the truck has been driven just a few thousand miles. I only thought the oil temp seemed high after going up the big hill loaded. Seemed like it stayed a bit high afterwards. I will keep my eye on it.