Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

North Idaho logging equipment

JTL ยท 2010-12-26 18:09

Since my snowmobiling buddies all crapped out on me today, and Im laid off and dont have to leave at noon to drive back to work, I went for a drive this morning to find some logging jobs. I figured out how to resize pictures BEFORE I take them on my camera. I have hundrends more I took this summer and early fall, right about the time the forums crashed, and all that stuff. Now unfortunatly they are to big to post. This is typical iron around here. Not much for steep ground or long span yarding. Mostly tractor ground. John Deere skidders seem to be the choice. (dont ask me why, I would sell the farm for a Cat wheel skidder!) Enough yaking more pictures! Enjoy.

Replies27
  1. #1JTL2010-12-26 18:16

    The first three pics above were on the same landing. The bottom two and this little jammer set up were on a different landing, same contractor though. Just a few hundred yards apart as the crow flys, 5 miles by road

  2. #2JTL2010-12-26 18:23

    These pics were shot on the same road that the jammer is setup on, just a different contactor.

  3. #3JTL2010-12-26 18:27

    Heres a couple more from the same landing.

  4. #4JTL2010-12-26 18:35

    I could actually see this landing from the last one I was in, only it was in a compleatly different drainage about 2 miles by air, close to 15 by road. I cut the right-a-way on the road leading into this spot in 1995. Brought back some memories driving in there! Its being logged for the 6th time since then. Not much left but the shelter wood these days.

  5. #5EGS2010-12-26 18:43

    Jason why do you like the Cat over the Deere? Around here Deere seem to be the skidder of choice. It would be hard to find anything but a Deere around these parts. There are heaps of 440's and 540's still running around here. Why did they park that Timbco (looks like a Timbco, in second pic) on the hill like that? Seems like a strange place to park.

  6. #6JTL2010-12-26 19:50

    Well Evan, I like the Cats over Deeres for a couple reasons. One is the lack of a steering wheel. Cat skidders use the half moon comand steering system like the early 980G loaders. Much easier to find the gears in a hurry. Two, the grapple controll is in one lever, not backhoe style wobble sticks like the Deere. You can still have one hand on the steering moon and one on the grapple lever, making it much easier to push or pull yourself along if the going gets tough. Three, is the converter drive vs. direct drive. On steep, stump infested ground, the last thing you wanna worry about is killing the engine at the wrong time from being in the wrong gear. I have plenty of reasons, but those are the biggest. As far as the Timbco being parked like that, I would say to make room to get a pickup in between the skidder and it, and mabey the operator is really short and he needs to run the tracks up the hill to have a easier step in and out of the cab.

  7. #72stickbill2010-12-26 20:51

    Deere is getting close to Cat on the controls.Deere has both Converter and Direst drive.I think the biggest two only have Direct drive.We have two 460Ds Timber Jack which now is Deere and one 525C Cat Cat pulls bigger load and pulls trucks better.The Cat has a better Warranty.

  8. #8nedly052010-12-27 05:18

    Great pics Jason, making me want to get out in the woods!

  9. #9JeremyM702010-12-27 15:57

    Resizing pictures is super easy if you have Microsoft Office on your computer, you can just use Picture Manager to open the picture, then click Edit, then you can either click resize or compress picture to make it web page sized. If you don't have that program I am sure there are a bunch of other programs easily downloaded for free that you can use to easily resize pictures. You just want to be cautious to not resize your original pictures and save them as the smaller size. I copy all the pictures I want to resize for upload to a new folder then can rename and resize them however I want to. Hope that helps. Cool pictures by the way, never seen a jammer before.

  10. #10JTL2010-12-27 17:46

    Thanks Jeremy. Like I said earlier Im laid off now and have plenty of time on my hands I figured out how to resize using Windows Paint. It works really nice and is super easy to use for a dummy like me! The only thing is you can only do one picture at a time. So I went through and resized some of the pics I took over the summer. Pretty much the same sort of equipment.

  11. #11JTL2010-12-27 17:58

    Heres a few of a little Christy yarder, on the same job as the previous pictures. This is the biggest logging outfit in our area. They have 3 of these little towers and close to 30 Deere skidders. I think the have 10 or 15 Cat shovels and the same amount of Cat processors all with Log Max heads on them, and around 10 or 12 bunchers. This one job they had 5 skidders, two shovels, two processors, and two bunchers and the one little tower. All for about a million feet of timber.

  12. #12JTL2010-12-27 18:01

    Heres a couple more of the little Christy.

  13. #13EGS2010-12-27 19:57

    Man what I would give to come out there and log for a few months. I grew up reading my Dad's Loggers World mags and I always thought that west coast logging was the some interesting stuff. Seems a lot more intensive then the logging we do around here. Got any more pics?

  14. #14John C.2010-12-27 20:03

    Thanks for the picts. I notice on that last bunch of photos that the stumps are cut pretty high. Most of the stumps around here are less than a foot from the ground. Is something different over there?

  15. #15EGS2010-12-27 20:07

    Maybe they left them high for the yarder rigging?

  16. #16hvy 1ton2010-12-27 20:29

    If you have Office on you computer, look for Office Picture Manager. It can resize pics in batches. The pics are awesome.

  17. #17JTL2010-12-27 21:55

    I posted these awhile back in another thread. In 2005 & 06 I had been in California working and was really in need of some medicine. Buddy Matt and his Grandpa needed help to build some new logging road, so I jumped at the chance to come home and work in the woods for a summer. For the life of me I cant find the other SD card with all of the other pictures I took on it that summer, so these few will have to do.

  18. #18JTL2010-12-27 22:02

    Matt rented a 500T Valmet with a LogMax 5000 head on it to cut the right-a-way on the job that summer. Of corse he couldnt cut everything so we would go back and cut all the oversize by hand. The first pic is of me, the second one is Matt. Once again, I wish I could find that other SD card.

  19. #19JTL2010-12-27 22:59

    I was wondering that when I walked through there. The only thing I can think is for guy stumps, since the trees were only toothpicks that they cut there.

  20. #20JTL2010-12-27 23:02

    Ive got a few. Problem is I cant find that one SD card that has a buttload of pics on it.

  21. #21RonG2010-12-28 06:02

    Download Irfanview and the plugins as well,install it and let it be the default viewer for images on your computer,it will let you choose that option when you install it.It is a free program that allows you to do just about anything you wish with an image.You can resize a whole folder at once with it by choosing the "batch"*** function.I use it for most everything,cropping,renaming etc,I print from it too. If you need to touch up images you will need a program like Photoshop but there are many free ones that will do that around as well,like Gimp for instance.Ron G

  22. #22JTL2011-01-17 01:19

    Our January thaw came in this week. We went from 0 degrees and lots of snow to 45and lots of rain. Gotta love this global warming stuff! Since its raining all the way to the top of the mountians, and the snowmobiling sucks, I went shed horn hunting today and found a logging job insted. Walked around for a bit but never found any antlers. Heres a few pics for you.

  23. #23JeremyM702011-01-17 22:59

    I like the roof modification on the Komatsu processor! Kind of like a brand new Cat 924 loader I put a radio in last weekend, one of the roof bolts was screwed in crooked with a huge gap under it, and another hole beneath it with a bunch of cables going into the cab. Was just asking to have water pour into the cab. I fixed the bolt and added some silicon to both holes.

  24. #24Elkcreeklogging2013-02-22 00:20

    Jason I'm very interested in building a jammer setup like the one in this picture do you know who I can get a hold of too talk about this or at least where this one is located. Thanks, Ross Fitchett Elk creek contracting

  25. #25JTL2013-02-22 22:22

    Ross, The little jammer is Gary Ragear's out of Bonners Ferry. Jason

  26. #26Elkcreeklogging2013-02-23 14:33

    Thanks Jason it looks like a pretty good little setup. Ross Fitchett Elk Creek Contracting

  27. #27BrandtCSA2015-01-16 13:37

    Boys we got all kinds of good used equipment for sale,bunchers skidders,limbers loaders etc. Shane 2503198949