I got a 1:50 2954 loader from my little brother. I would like to convert it to a yoader as a project. I looking for some pics showing the yarder bits and how they're attached to the loader.
Lots of different ways to do it, but most commonly they are mounted waterfall-style where the battery box is usually found. Batteries would be moved to another compartment, and the upper drum mounted on a fabricated box which will contain the control valved and etc. The 2 most prominent suppliers today are Jewell Attachments and Allied Power Products. Both have information/pictures/sales literature available on thier websites. Another thing to note- in real-world application the ideal machine for a drumset application will be a 30-ton or larger (35/37 ton is better) for hyd oil flow requirements. the Deere 2954 would be light, the 3554/ Hitachi ZX370 is ideal. Also- the drums are installed at a slightly sideways angle (directly facing the fairlead/blocks) so they will spool evenly and correctly. In the world of 1:50 scale, you my friend are going to have a really cool model! Maybe even have to male a little Acme or Eaglet carriage to go with it! Good Luck and post pics!
Here are some good shots I just bootlegged from Acme Carriage's website for you.
I know a 290/2954 is a little on the small side for a yoader, but I have seen pics of a kobelco 290. I'm not sure i can upsize the carbody to a 370 and make it look good. I did consider picking up a 450D and using the 2954's boom and cab to make a 450 yoader. Don't know that would be anymore beliveable though. I also thought about making a 450D CWS type roadbuilder, but i would need the low cab from a 2954 processor for that. Plan is to build a yoader, road builder, and put the processor on a 200D.
Ive been thinking of doing something along the same lines. But was thinking more of the TimbrMastr from Jewell. I know of a couple of them up where I live. Pretty sweet and easy setup for a quick swing yarder. Then a guy could use a 330 Cat model, or a 300/350 Komatsu. I have one of those cheap Joal 225 digging cranes that the boom could be scarcificed on.
Just a quick tip. The cab comes off the tilt riser on the shovel models. Take the whole assembly off by unscrewing the bottom screw, then tilt the riser down as you would to move the machine. If you look inside there is a screw to remove the cab from the riser. Hope this helps.
Idaho Yarder
Hyatt logging's Komatsu yoader. They use it mainly for cleaning up corners on units so they do not have to set one of thier 071's up. They also use it as a spare shovel. Works good from what I have heard.
That hitachi tinwork must be strong to handle those winches! :lol:
is this machine for sale ?
Here's my rendition of a 330 yoader in 1/50 scale actually. After seeing the guy line on that kobelco I know what I'm doing next week. I also want to build a little acme for it but that's in the future for now. I just threw together the drift carriage because summer is coming up.
Very nice detail! Keep up the good work! Thanks, cat3208 :notworthy
Ive worked under this machine for its new owner. its all right but its travel really sucks bad. the new owner is m&m exavatian
Ive worked on this machine its all right but its travel is worn out. its owned by M&M exavatian
heres the machine Corbett OR logging for M&M exavation
3400 use to be owned by more logs inc of sweet home
N. Idaho Exca-liner. Base is a Cat 324D, 2 hydraulic drums, and shop built tower. 2 man crew, Eaglet carriage. Slick little setup for yarding under 1000ft.
Excaliner built with a Link Belt drumset, owned by Joe Fraser in Missoula.
Yoader working near Medford, OR on a USFS sale.
Not a yarder, but a single winch line machine owned by Jim Johnson in Etna, CA.