Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

North Slope pics, Prudhoe Bay A.K.

Sharky · 2008-08-05 00:22

As requested, Here are some from this past winter outside of Prudhoe bay. The hood on the truck was closed and engine off. This is what it looked like when I popped the hood to check the fluids. Here is a B70 haul truck, much of what was used back in the 70's to build the pipeline and still in use today. And a approx' 25'X40' "porta shop"

Replies13
  1. #1Sharky2008-08-05 00:32

    A rollagon A typical "Iceroad" The edge of the Arctic Ocean A self propelled oil rig (These things are HUGE!) And a C 550 K Dub winch truck that Cruz Const had in there shop. 91000 rears and capable of hauling 70 ton on the rear deck alone. 650 Cat I believe and 18 speed. 750k US for that thing I guess. Had a blown diff seal from the cold.

  2. #2D5G2008-08-05 00:42

    WOW some absolutely amazing equip there in alaska! Thanks for the pics.

  3. #3Sharky2008-08-05 00:44

    Here is another rig about 70 miles away from Prudhoe. And one of the assloads of "Vac trucks" there. Enjoy.

  4. #4stepp33602008-08-05 07:56

    North Slope Pictures The North Slope is one of the place's that I never got visit when I lived in Alaska. Great pictures. Do you you have any of the C-500 trailers dumps ran by AIC, and now Alaska Frontier Construction. I'm planning a modeling project, and could use some help with pictures. Do you work on the Slope? Thanks again for the great pictures John

  5. #5Sharky2008-08-06 00:51

    I do work on the slope in the winter and took all those pics. I dont have any of AIC or AFC's Maxhaul trailer pics, though I should have, but the outfit I worked for owned a few which I pulled for many years. Up there they run alot of double maxi's though. The one's we had were 30 yd, but this past winter I seen the super maxi's with tripple axles and 40 yd's. These are some pics from the greens creek mine when we contracted out there. 50 yd Knights with some STOUT Western Stars. Average gross with Lead on is 220k. Heavy haulers for tractor trucks. 10' wide planetary drive tractors. I am sure these are the types of trailers your talking about. The Maxhauls are slightly different, but the same concept, and I could get a pic of those just down the road a ways.

  6. #6Sharky2008-08-06 01:04

    I searched through my pics and did find one of our trailers. This is with one of the old Peak C 500's that got at auction. This truck and trailer originally came from the slope. 65,000 rears with a 5x4 and big cam 400. Kind of a POS but took a hell of a beating. Load it till it dont hold another pebble, all day long.

  7. #7EZ TRBO2008-08-06 06:24

    Great pics, its amazing what goes on at the top of the world. Thanks for sharing. Trbo

  8. #8stepp33602008-08-06 07:15

    Sharky, I really appreciate you taking the time to post these additional picture. Yes it the Max haul trailer rigs that I'm looking for. I remember years ago that an outfit Catwidler? Trucking ran a fleet of Autocar tractor pulling Max haul trailers on the Slope. I not going to start another modeling project building one of those twin trailers that you posted, pretty awesome rigs. Thanks, john

  9. #9IceHole2025-11-08 14:16

    Lot of that stuff in the pics still around now. B70s... there's probably 50 of them in town.

  10. #10mowingman2025-11-08 15:02

    Back in the mid 80's, I went up to Montreal and bought 3, B70's, for our company. They had all been up in Alaska working, before ending up for sale down in Montreal. We cleaned them up a little before putting them to work.

  11. #11Tones2025-11-08 15:48

    Could the logging trucks that were abandoned in southern Alaska when the forest operations were shut down be got out, refurbished and put to good use now that Alaska is firing up again? Camptramp has posted heaps of photos in the Forestry Equipment section on this forum.

  12. #12Coaldust2025-11-08 18:48

    Great thread bump, Gents. I know, right? Let’s make the Tongass great again. I haven’t been paying any attention to the lumber markets. Is there even a lumber market? I’ve been too busy picking stibnite out of the crushed rock in my driveway and filling up buckets. Waiting for the new antimony refinery to get built. I certainly could change focus and tune-up my saw collection and sharpen chains.

  13. #13Coaldust2025-11-08 19:01

    If roadless areas do open up for timber sales, maybe heli logging will be the strategy. Harvest the choice saw logs and leave the over-ripe pulp.