Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Northwest Engineering cable backhoe info needed.

Titch · 2011-02-25 04:26

Hi, I'm a newbie. Can anyone tell me how a vintage (1954) Northwest Engineering cable back hoe excavator operated? The one I’m interested in can be seen at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPt1JEZG_k I’ve a great little HO scale pewter kit of this by Custom Finishing of Orange, MA and I want to motorise it. The instructions mention a) bucket crowd cable installation, b) boom lift and dipper extend installation, and c) elevator column cable installation, but it’s not clear what each does exactly, or what combination of controls you use. The YouTube videos offer only some help, mainly focusing on the guy in the cab. I’ve only operated JCB backhoes and know next to nothing about this Northwest machine. Any info greatly appreciated. Titch

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies6
  1. #1td14steve2011-02-25 08:05

    Go on Ebay and look for an older copy of the book Moving The Earth . It tons of info on cable machines and all excavating in general. Good book for anyone to have. Steve

  2. #2Titch2011-02-25 08:08

    Thanks Steve- I'll do that. Titch

  3. #3Koehringman2011-02-27 12:55

    Also look on ebay for Northwest manuals for their machines. Those may be of some help. P.S. That 25 is a nice one!

  4. #4Titch2011-02-28 04:52

    Thanks Koehringman, I'll look into that too. I've ordered a copy of 'Moving the Earth' as advised by Steve. Titch

  5. #5Greg2011-02-28 10:44

    Good luck. HO scale is pretty small to motorize. Keep us informed. This will be a neat unit if you pull it off.

  6. #6Titch2011-03-05 18:56

    Hi Greg, Yes, it's small- I've got my work cut out. Titch