Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Not a operator

Truck Shop ยท 2025-05-08 21:26

My day today--borrowed machine and guy I know has a 77 F700 with grain racks for a dump. Stripped roughly 105' x 25' narrowed to 15' of sod then spread 1 1/2 fractured, took 2 hours to strip and 3.5 to spread. Had to pack it by bucket loads because it's over a drain field, didn't want the truck driving on it. I estimated 17 yards and that's what it took. The machine is only 7 months old. I did ok, but I'm not interested in doing it again.

Replies12
  1. #1Simon C2025-05-08 21:56

    Did not think you would pack 17 yards by 20 liter buckets, even though some young fellow might. Nice machine. Looks good by the way. Simon C

  2. #2Truck Shop2025-05-08 22:04

    I wouldn't do it with a wheel barrow let alone a 20 L bucket,

  3. #3Simon C2025-05-08 22:18

    When I was 18, I took 1.5 feet out of an airport building under construction that was frozen there, with a wheel barrel and pick. About 50 yards or more. The arms were getting a little stiffer from that. Then they asked me to bring a couple Inches back in . Was too many engineers working there, and I was glad when I started my first apprenticeship shortly afterwards. Simon C

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-05-09 09:26

    Nice work. Still waiting for some 1 1/2 for my driveway but rain for a week is putting the kabosh on that.

  5. #5Sberry2025-05-09 09:38

    After about 5 minutes in the seat would have been looking to find someone to drive it.

  6. #6Tones2025-05-09 17:13

    Seen plenty who call themselves operators who can't do a job that tidy. Good work.

  7. #7Truck Shop2025-05-09 19:36

    It's all top soil where our house is, about 12' deep. So I probably had advantage in the fact as a first timer I wasn't working in rocky ground. Two reasons I removed it was there was a well here that ran the yard system. In 2021 this area had a major drought and well went dry. City water bills are out of sight so it was time to remove some lawn plus cut the mowing time down.

  8. #892U 34062025-05-10 00:11

    Brought a yard and a half of soil in for my front yard last weekend. Shoveled it into my trailer by hand, shovelled it off into my flowerbeds by hand. Was some sore that night.

  9. #9Vetech632025-05-10 08:16

    Where is the gazebo with the mini fridge?

  10. #10Truck Shop2025-05-10 10:00

    Have a nice patio already, a gaze-E-bow would probably be over kill and don't need a mini fridge because I haven't drank beer for 14 plus years, and if you have that then it's power and more waste of money. point is to scale down not up. But I figure when we are gone who ever owns it then will fill it full of clutter like a boat, travel trailer, car/utility trailer, a 4x4 and don't forget the ATV's powered by a 5.9 12V. Thing is that's a documented drain field area and not a RV parking or building spot.

  11. #11Shimmy12025-05-11 00:36

    Your drainfield will be dead in a few years. Without the grass to use the water, and that rock will now let all precipitation soak in, it will waterlog, and the bacteria will die. Without the bacteria to kept the solids broke down, the soil will clog and game over.

  12. #12Truck Shop2025-05-11 04:17

    Drain field is 5 to 6' below surface, already checked on effects of covering with rock by the guy who put it in of 45 years experience---no issues to arise down the road. Grass doesn't grow in winter, hardly absorbs any water in those months and hardly any rain 8 months out of the year.