I searched but couldn’t find an answer. I have a case 480c. Do the loader and bucket hydraulics share the same fluid as the transmission? If not, can I use a lower grade fluid for the bucket/loader. I bought some Tractor Supply Traveler ISO46 but now second guessing if it’s the right stuff. Thanks in advance for your help!
I'd guess a seperate reservoir for the loader hyd's. But it should be obvious. Is there a fill cap other than the fuel cap? A hyd. reservoir would usually have much easier access than the trans. fill. Would be best to get a manual. If the loader hyd's. are seperate you're should be OK unless you're using it in pretty cold temps.
I have a 480c with the shuttle shift transmission. That means the lever on the left side of the steering wheel to go forward and reverse. The shuttle shift transmission is right behind the engine, and has it's own fluid. You fill it through the metal tube where the dipstick is located on the pass side of the tractor at the rear of the engine. They recommend the high quality hydraulic oil from Case. It doesn't take too much, so I buy the equivalent from tractor supply. Coming out of the shuttle shift trans is a short driveshaft that goes into the trans axle. The trans axle has the 4 speed shifter in it, and it takes gear oil. The hydraulic system for the hoe and the front bucket is separate from all that, and you fill it through the plug on the driver's side below the fuel filler. I use cheap hydraulic oil from rural king in there, since I have some leaks. The steering has it's own belt driven pump like a car, with a reservoir on the pump. You can put power steering fluid and I have used hydraulic oil in it also. And then some of these tractors do not have the shuttle shift, but have a clutch pedal and a clutch. So they would not have a hydraulic shuttle transmission I think they had a mechanical shuttle transmission.
Find someone with a log splitter that you can give that TSC stuff to. Go to any equipment dealer, construction, agriculture, doesn't matter, and get some hydraulic oil. If it's a CaseIH dealer, get HyTran. If it's a John Deere dealer, get some Hygard. If it's a Caterpillar dealer, get some MTO oil.
Just for the bucket hyd's. the TSC oil will be fine as long as it's above freezing temps. It's likely a gear pump and they aren't too fussy as long as the oil is clean. Transmissions are a different story and DO require specific oils.