Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Not Machinary but a 2013 ford

Moonlite ยท 2015-08-02 00:12

A buddy just called me and said he was driving his f150 last nite there was a lot of thundering and lightening. All of a sudden heard a loud boom and he saw lots of sparks. His truck died lights went out. He said has no electrical power. So tried jumping it off and nothing. Started checking fuses and every fuse was burnt. Any body else every have this happen ?

Replies6
  1. #1Moonlite2015-08-02 00:17

    He did say there were no signs of a direct hit from lightening

  2. #2Dickjr.2015-08-02 14:41

    He better get a trust worthy mechanic to look at this , it is possible the truck may be totaled due to lightening damage. Or a very expensive repair chasing electrical gremlins from now on. I hope he has comprehensive full coverage. I think this has happened before.

  3. #3Moonlite2015-08-02 14:54

    It's going to dealer. I asked about his insurance he said has full coverage.

  4. #4JD955SC2015-08-03 21:22

    Happened to my Dad, but that was decades ago when vehicle electrical systems were a lot simpler. These days I'd imagine it would toast everything important.

  5. #5FSERVICE2015-08-03 21:43

    I saw this happen just last month!!! a good friend house was struck by lightning burned holes in his gutter jumped off to the antenna of his f150 also fried the ECM & a few other things, he is fighting with the insurance company now over where to fix it or total it!! I thought he was f#*$( with me when he called & told me cause I was laughing till I saw the burn marks & melted antenna!!! not so funny now

  6. #6Moonlite2015-08-06 23:18

    All the ford dealer did was replace the battery and fuses. Said it was good to go.