Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Not sure where to put this…. How to store gasoline…

emmett518 · 2023-03-25 05:17

I keep official gas cans full of gas for tractors in my garage. I would like to cycle the gas through my truck when it gets a couple of months old, but trying to get 5 gallon cans into my truck filler is tough. Heavy, awkward, etc. Would it work to take one of those racing fuel, 55 gallon drums, add a Fillrite pump to the top, and store gas in that? I could treat 55 gallons with stabil. And I would probably store the drum away from any residences in a shed of some sort. Thanks

Replies23
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-03-25 09:14

    Why not go to a gas station and buy fresh gas as you need it ? I used to do the same as you but I never put old gas in my truck. I put it in my lawn mower. I no longer store more than one five gallon safety can of gas anymore. You didn't say how you would fill / refill that 55 gallon drum. That could be a dangerous thing to do depending on how it is done.

  2. #2cfherrman2023-03-25 09:18

    Yes put a vent on it. The pump is really expensive though to do this. Irc it might not be a approved container so if the wrong person saw it you might have to empty it. The oilfield has kept way more dangerous chemicals in metal 55 gal drums. I used to use a 55 drum to transfer diesel into my rig before I had a transfer tank, I would use it to also transfer gas about once every two weeks and nobody ever said anything about buying 55 gals of gas.

  3. #3oarwhat2023-03-25 09:28

    Use a jiggler siphon hose to put it in your truck. Boaters use these all the time. Put the gas can higher than the fill. put the jiggler end in the can and jiggle to start siphon. https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siphon-Safe-Multi-Purpose-Priming/dp/B000BG1X54/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1QF3I32DXRAI0&keywords=jiggle+siphon+hose&qid=1679750679&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySDlFMVBSMk81QUoxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDM5MjExMzdYS1k3NjVEU08wTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzI1OTE1NEZVRTU4SlVGN0s0JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

  4. #4ianjoub2023-03-25 09:35

    I pour old gas into my wife's truck. Never had a problem, but I consider gas old at 2 months. I also will ask, why not just buy fresh when needed? Why do you (it sounds like) keep more than one can? I only keep one can. I go back and forth (mentally, not just to alternate) between non ethanol, which I can only get at 89 octane here, and 93. I treat with Startron.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2023-03-25 09:51

    They sell new gasoline in 55 gallon drums, along with other chemicals, so it ought to be safe to store anyway.

  6. #6emmett5182023-03-25 10:11

    If we get a nasty storm and lose power for a week or two, it’s nice to have fuel to cover. 5 gallons doesn’t do it.

  7. #7emmett5182023-03-25 10:12

    And I have a spare fillrite pump.

  8. #8Jonas3022023-03-25 10:16

    Gas is not always readily available its called thinking ahead Be aware that a 55 gallon drum is not DOT approved container somebody may hassle you about filling that we use a barrel with a hand pump on it for premium gas works great no one has ever said anything just something to be aware of You can get gas caddys like this https://www.northerntool.com/products/flo-n-go-duramax-gas-caddy-14-gallon-poly-model-06792-33631?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Fuel%20Transfer%20%2B%20Lubrication%20%3E%20Fuel%20Caddies&utm_campaign=Specter&utm_content=33631&ogmap=SHP%7cPLA%7cGOOG%7cSTND%7cc%7cSITEWIDE%7cINTRADE%7c%7c%7c%7c857740791%7c42214667183&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6puC1aH3_QIVFRCtBh3ONg8sEAQYASABEgJr2vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds And if you want to stick with 5 gallon cans these bottom empty cans work great for filling pickups https://www.northerntool.com/products/surecan-5-gallon-type-ii-safety-gas-can-model-sur5sfg2-112021?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&utm_source=Google_LIA&utm_medium=Fuel%20Transfer%20%2B%20Lubrication%20%3E%20Gas%20Cans&utm_campaign=SureCan&utm_content=112021&ogmap=SHP%7cLIA%7cGOOG%7cSTND%7cc%7cSITEWIDE%7c%7c%7c%7c%7c856744474%7c42214675143&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6puC1aH3_QIVFRCtBh3ONg8sEAQYAiABEgLE5fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

  9. #9emmett5182023-03-25 10:33

    I can use a 5 gallon can to Fill the 55. It’s getting it into the truck that is the hassle.

  10. #10Tinkerer2023-03-25 10:39

    Is it because of the filler location or angle of it on the truck ? I used to use a plastic transmission funnel. It was slow but worked well.

  11. #11ianjoub2023-03-25 11:18

    I have a dozen propane tanks and a genset that runs on propane. Aside from that, we have a few vehicles, several boats, several bike, mower, etc. that always have gas in them. I can get it out of any given vehicle to use in another if needed. I suppose that is how I 'store' gas.

  12. #12westerner2023-03-25 23:51

    I am an old fart. That said, I cannot see spending $60 on a gas can that only keeps a kid from spilling gas on his leg. The last "safety" can I bought was modified first thing with a tire valve stem with the core removed. Take the cap off, and you will get some flow....

  13. #13ianjoub2023-03-26 10:47

    Great idea! I prefer these though:

  14. #141693TA2023-03-26 10:59

    We have several gas cans at the property. Most anymore are the plastic types and I installed these on all of them along with gutting out the supposedly safety **** that precludes them working correctly in the nozzles: https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Seal...79842409&sprefix=gas+can+vent,aps,159&sr=8-15 With good venting, the nozzles flow correctly. In my shop I still have several 5 gallon steel containers with the steel flex nozzles that used to be so common.

  15. #15Birken Vogt2023-03-26 11:58

    My metal gas cans all got water in them at one time or another and rusted the insides, had to throw them out. I liked them too but I don't think you can get the good ones any more that have the vent tube that goes up past the gasket.

  16. #16Columbo2023-03-26 14:21

    I bought one of the 30 gal fuel caddies on wheels off of Craigslist. I also try to keep some fuel in reserve for emergencies. This thing has paid for itself many times over, I roll it onto my drop gate trailer to fill it a few times a year. Older fuel that needs to be used is dumped into it with a funnel so it can be filtered as I pump it into the vehicles. I would highly recommend something like this for your use. (I added a spin on filter since this photo was taken).

  17. #17cfherrman2023-03-26 14:26

    My brother has one of those he found cheap, plastic and I think it's rated for gas. Uses a carb type of pump to pump it away

  18. #18Old Doug2023-03-26 18:06

    Why not by better gas and store it longer. I was a believer in stabile till i saw some test on you tube . I still use it but only in good gas. You could buy better gas store it 6 months.

  19. #19emmett5182023-03-28 04:28

    What is better gas?

  20. #20Keith Merrell2023-03-29 01:02

    Likely ethanol free

  21. #21Coaldust2023-03-29 01:50

    Something without Ethanol in it. Corn squeezins’ belongs in whisky, not gasoline. Amiright?

  22. #22cfherrman2023-03-29 13:30

    Depends if it makes you go blind or not

  23. #23emmett5182023-04-01 05:05

    There was a bar near my college campus, called The Blind Pig Pub. We used to joke that they served methanol.