Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

notch in ROPS

coopers ยท 2009-11-16 04:54

I know this isn't technically a TLB but there's some knowledgeable case guys here...why do the 570 skip loaders have a notch in the front of the ROPS?

Replies8
  1. #1tonka2009-11-16 10:12

    Its for visibility when loading trucks when the loader arms are all the way up!

  2. #2coopers2009-11-16 18:19

    Odd? Wonder why that is any different than the hoes or something. It's only on the skip loaders. lol. That seemed to easy to figure out. Thanks Tonka, been bugging me.

  3. #3CM19952009-11-16 20:12

    I thought the same thing Coopers, enough so that looked at some 570's on MT. Some 570's have notched ROPS and some don't. The enclosed cab versions obviously are standard front canopy. We don't see many skip loaders in my area, although I always understood them to be BHL's with Gannon boxes and my assumption may be wrong. Is there a different front loader linkage on some of these 570's or skip loaders in general, that places the bucket geometry above the line of sight from the seat? Or is it these machines are used more often in the loader position than a standard BHL?:beatsme

  4. #4dpage022009-11-16 21:36

    Why do they call them "skip loaders"?

  5. #5coopers2009-11-17 04:19

    Good question dpage02. Not sure myself. CM1995, we have quite a few skip loaders floating around in our state...mostly used in topsoil/mulch retails yards which is why I was looking for one. Kinda get prices in my head and other stuff. It looks like the older loaders like the C and such were just backhoes with no hoe on it. It almost looks like the newer ones, the L and M's may have something different enough that they can't take a hoe. I'm not sure. I could be wrong but I thought K's and newer the hoes can be taken off for mechanical work but they aren't meant to be off and switched with some 3 pt attachment. Maybe that's what these skip loaders are specific too, butt end is meant to work w/ 3 pt attachments only. :beatsme

  6. #6ScottAR2009-11-17 17:07

    In parts of Europe, I understand dumpsters are often called "skips." Stands to reason, at least in my jumbled mind, that a tractor like that would be used to load a "skip." Upon further thought, that it was a tractor that "skipped" getting a backhoe. Who knows the real answer?

  7. #7Bartlanz2009-11-17 18:54

    I cant speak to the L and M machines but i know on the K series there where two differant frames, one with the backhoe and one with out... On the frames with-out you could bold one one like the old bh's or use a 3 point hitch. I'de be suprised if they wernt still doing that on the L's and M's...

  8. #8CM19952009-11-17 20:41

    Maybe because it "skipped" the backhoe.