Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NT855C Fuel in the oil

HESCO ยท 2015-01-28 19:26

Greetings, this engine has been getting about one gallon of fuel in the crankcase every 20 operating hours. I replaced the injector O rings today but the ones I took off looked like new condition, makes me doubt that was the problem. Does anyone have a recommendation on anything else I may check? Thanks...

Replies7
  1. #1animalv2015-03-18 23:15

    Did you check injector adjustment before pulling apart if loose injector plunger will come up to far and get fuel in oil

  2. #2HESCO2015-03-19 20:08

    Thanks for the reply animalv. I did not check adjustment but should have. You are correct the injector adjustment was causing this. This engine ran rough and smoked excessively along with the fuel in oil problem. after resetting the valves and injectors it smoothed out and no more smoke and no more fuel in the oil. I ran into something strange while setting the overhead, turns out the timing pointer was down about the 3oclock position on the gearcover instead of the normal 12:30 position. I found this out by getting a rough tdc with a brazing rod in #1 cyld. injector hole and then seeing where tdc on the pully was. Has anyone else seen this, I wonder it the timing gears are set properly?

  3. #3kshansen2015-03-20 08:05

    Probably someone replaced the air compressor or air compressor drive without taking the small plug out of the front cover to see the timing marks. That may be why the valves and injectors were way out of adjustment. Who ever set them last did not realize the pulley marks were lying to him. I might be able to find a service manual to show where the plug is if you'd like. To make it right you will need to pull the fuel pump, air compressor and if the engine you have has a separate compressor drive that and the pulley will all need to come off. Then remove the plug and turn over engine to see the timing mark and install everything with the marks lined up. Or say "screw it" it's running fine! Worry about it next time it needs some major work!

  4. #4animalv2015-03-20 10:09

    Kshansen your right the acc drive pully will have to come off to set the timing marks so fuel pump compressor acc pully and drive so runner not worth the work unless you have an oil leak

  5. #5kshansen2015-03-20 11:51

    Yes that's why I would just run it and maybe mark it somehow to remind oneself about the discrepancy. Could even go fancy and make up a timing pointer it there is a bolt near where it was determined it should be now located. Hesco is just lucky it was not way over on the lower inside, would be hard to see in chassis!

  6. #6HESCO2015-03-21 21:08

    Thanks for the info guys, It will have to stay this way for now! I will mark the housing as a reminder. Also a lesson learned is checking tdc as part of diagnosing a sick cummins.

  7. #7kshansen2015-03-22 08:55

    A simple mistake by someone who worked on something before you can sure waste a lot of your time and also make you look bad. Glad you got it working!