Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Underbody diesel tranfer tank?

pondo ยท 2015-01-27 21:28

Sorry if this a dumb question. Just recently upgrade to medium duty single axle w roll off. Love setup for moving mini ex and attachments. But i miss my transfer diesel tank. I have lots of room under the bed on frame rails... Does anyone have a set up with a transfer tank "underbody" ? Was thinking of just grabing another truck fuel tank and having a welder, add top port for standard transfer pump? Any comments or suggests? Thxs

Replies12
  1. #1Andrew_D2015-01-27 22:11

    We have a dump truck on the farm (Ford L9000) that only travels locally. We disconnected the tank from one side and ran the suction line (which conveniently was at the rear of the tank already!) to a transfer pump that we mounted to a bracket on the frame rail. It would have been better if it had been inside a cabinet or something. Seems to be a fair bit more dust/dirt there compared to the back of a pickup! Andrew

  2. #2CM19952015-01-28 06:51

    I've seen a few set-ups built into long underbody boxes where the pump and hose is enclosed. Didn't look like they would hold more than 40 gallons, maybe?

  3. #3pondo2015-01-28 08:02

    Cool. Googled 10 pages and found no set ups like that. New mini is great on fuel. Maybe 10 gal day. Most jobs are less than a week. So if I show up full, 40 gal would get me thru a week! If u see one again ....a pic would b great help thxs

  4. #4grandpa2015-01-28 08:10

    Don't know what part of Canada you live in, but if they use the salt on their roads like Minnesota, one of those regular truck fuel tanks won't last long under there. If it were me, I'd go to my local welding shop and have them build me one that fit to the size I wanted. Then before I bolted it up under there I would undercoat the whole thing with tar. Good luck with it all.

  5. #5overworked2015-01-28 09:45

    If you have room, mount another fuel tank, and a small underbody box, put pump filter and hose inside box, keep oils and grease guns and stuff in there also. Pumps don't have to be mounted on top of tank.

  6. #6farmIT2015-01-28 09:52

    I think a second Aluminum 50 gal tank would be your best bet. go to fort gary or any truck parts place with measurements in hand and buy tank and mounts... then like was mentioned mount pump and hose in a lockable jockey box for security. Only thing you may need is to get a shop to drill a big hole and weld in a bung in the bottom side for your pump suction.

  7. #7pondo2015-01-28 10:00

    Great idea idea guys. Is it worth messing with used truck aluminum fuel tank or just buy a new one?

  8. #8farmIT2015-01-28 10:10

    I would buy new tank your size you need. But if u can find what you need used it will work , just might be way more time and might be worn from gravel or the saddles ect..

  9. #9DB22015-01-28 22:29

    When I was building our truck there was a sizeable amount of frame rail left between the service body and truck fuel tank. I found a couple of good used aluminum tanks and mounted them in the available space on each side. With a pump and hose reel in the box above I have 100 gallons on each side and no space taken up in the service body itself. I use one side for diesel and one for hydraulic oil.

  10. #10pondo2015-01-28 23:00

    DB2....very nice setup! Thxs for the pic

  11. #11Catpower2015-03-21 23:19

    I tried to get the boss 8 or 10 years ago to get me a pump to plumb into the end of the saddle tank of the gravel truck/ trailer that I ran pulling the backhoe around. I never used more the 1/3 tank on any one day/ night job in the oil field jobs. Plumb into the end of the saddle tank into a side mounted box with the pump hose and grease in it ( the hose should be the arctic type!!!!!) then be able to lock it! You will want to maybe use a short nipple welded for a grommet to sleeve the hose. If you can get a bigger side box if you need to have an extention cord for plugging in your hoe for the cold times?

  12. #12animalv2015-04-10 12:11

    Discount truck parts in alberta have new aluminum fuel tanks 22" diameter use reefer fuel tank brackets to mount to trucks so for john 780-454-5050 make sure you dont go to big or you will have to run dot paper work I think it's under 80 gallons but john will know