Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

OBD Diagnostic Tools

whtailhunter · 2022-10-20 10:09

We are looking for something basic to do regens, pull codes and clear codes on off-highway construction equipment. Mostly tier 4 CAT excavators and backhoes, some Grove as well as a 2018 Peterbilt Dump running a Cummins. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with non-dealer tools they can recommend or advise to steer clear of?

Replies6
  1. #1cfherrman2022-10-20 12:20

    Murphy engine controllers I have the pv485 https://www.enovationcontrols.com/products/displays/powerview-tactile-button-displays/powerview-485/ The are excellent for Regen control and gauges and can be programmed for a ton of things. Its currently runs the shifter on my trans and does my blinker and lights. I will later have it auto start my engine for winter warm up before I get there and run a odometer and GPS speed. It also runs my pdw so I pretty much don't have any fuses anymore, I have I think 3 fuses for a while truck and I can lower that. There is a bunch of different ones from more simpler to to more complex. I can give more info and where you can buy one, later I plan on selling these but I'm not there yet.

  2. #2Mike L2022-10-20 13:09

    Trukkscan. I’ve had one for about a year. So far has done everything I need it to do. The guy that runs it isn’t always the best at customer support. I think he’s just so busy that he can’t keep up.

  3. #3MarshallPowerGen2022-10-20 17:28

    I recently picked up a Murphy PV101C to use for pulling codes and forcing regens, and built an extra pigtail with banana plugs for whatever style of back probes I need to use. As usual, because I bought the tool I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

  4. #4cfherrman2022-10-20 18:51

    What's great about mine is it does j1939(or whatever the common can is) and my engine is 1992 with the j15xx and it can't read it. I'm going to get a changeover so it can read codes someday.

  5. #5Tony Wells2022-10-24 14:56

    I'm looking at some stuff from https://www.epcatalogs.com/ They seem to offer tools and software on the level with dealerships. I plan to start with all the attachments (all sold separately of course) for Volvo. Then if it seems to be realistic, I'll add other makes to it. From my browsing, they do miss a few makes, but cover quite a few. To the point of confusion on the adapters and cables and such. You do have to have your own laptop, which I have already acquired. I got a refurb ToughBook with all the bells and whistles. I'll find something to use it for if this doesn't work out.

  6. #6ozarkag2022-10-24 20:33

    Jaltest from Diesel Laptops. Not exactly cheap but does a lot more than read codes. Service is excellent.