Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

OBD Scanners

NCPIPELINE ยท 2013-02-05 15:08

Ok so I have been asking around and have not heard anything I didnt already know... I am in the market for a scanner(diagnostic platform) for my fleet of trucks. Lets see me have a few Ford 6.0, 7.3L, 5.4L Gas, 4.5L LCF & a couple of passenger ford trucks. Also have a few bigger Fords 650 & 750 with 5.9 Cummins ISB powerplants. A few Mitsu Fuso trucks. Then throw in the handfull of Chevy passenger trucks. Need something or combination of that will be able to cover all these trucks LOL :Banghead

Replies8
  1. #1Bobcatdan2013-02-05 18:00

    I don't know of a scanner that can do both light duty cars/trucks and med trucks. Cars and pick ups are all OBD 2 where as med and heavy trucks use several different platforms. I have never worked on a truck bigger then a ford F550 so I only know what I know about bigger trucks from what I have heard. When it comes to scanners, it all comes down to how much you want it to do. I would do a search for laptop based software for laptops as I'm pretty sure you would be looking at two scanners to do the range you want. There may be a scanner out there that can do all, but I don't know of it.

  2. #2NCPIPELINE2013-02-06 05:55

    Ya, I have looked at the laptop based software, could never find any nailed down information about what I need. Check this out, this is where I am leaning at the moment. http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-...&utm_term=OTC3874HD&utm_campaign=shopzilla_r1

  3. #3Hendrik2013-02-06 20:10

    Just wondering why you posted this in the skid steer section and why use "Men full of wisdom" as a title for your question? The reason I ask is that doing what you did makes it hard for people to find in the future when using the search function.

  4. #4NCPIPELINE2013-02-07 06:22

    Just the section where I spend most of my time, have gotten to know most of these guys. Have tried posting it in the transportation section and got little to nice reply's.

  5. #5Pipelinemech2013-02-07 07:24

    had a truck mechanic working for me that used a snapon modus with the big truck package. it did all the crew and foreman pickups plus the two ton fords. mostly f650 and f750.

  6. #6NCPIPELINE2013-02-07 08:27

    Do you know what engines were in your 650 & 750 I have the cummins 5.9 ISB did it hook up? I guess my other question is did he have a duetsch 6 & 9 pin for his modis

  7. #7johndeere1232013-02-07 17:42

    An OTC Genisys scanner is capable of doing passenger vehicles and large trucks. You may have to buy the large truck program separately. But the scanner will do large trucks.

  8. #8boomvan2013-02-11 04:15

    Yep, OTC Genisys is what you need. With the additional HD(J1939) package. Then you can do it all. My scanner was $1200 plus $400 for the HD kit, that was a couple years ago. Snapon modis is the same thing, just sold/relabeled by snapon.