Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump truck drop axles

Willis Bushogin ยท 2013-02-05 20:50

Just a little update on me, I have owned dump trucks with drop axles for the last 7 years and have had to learn how to repair these systems I just bought a 2001 KW quad, its kind of funky how the drop axles work. They work like they should, but when you depress the parking brake, to set the brakes, the drop axles go down and inflate HUMMMMM when you release the parking brake, the axles go up. I have never seen a system like this, I havent tried to troubleshoot it, Im thinking is there a reason it should do this (none I can think up) Looks like a lot of extra wear on the system. Knowing me I will sell the truck, so Ill just leave it like it is Any ideas

Replies5
  1. #1mike in idaho2013-02-05 21:28

    Maybe some obscure safety regulation, concerning leaving equipment raised when parking the vehicle?

  2. #2Steve Frazier2013-02-06 02:09

    Does the axle have parking brake cans on it?

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2013-02-06 07:49

    no, just standard brakes. Im not sure that someone hasnt plumbed the system up wrong, but everything works like it should, except the automatic drop axle, with the parking brake set

  4. #4buckfever2013-02-06 19:15

    I have heard that putting the tag down when dumping helps make the truck more stable. so maybe some set it up so that when the driver pulls the parking brake to dump the tag automaticly drops to help keep from falling over.

  5. #506Pete2013-02-06 21:43

    My peterbilt is set to lift the axle when the parking brake is applied or put in reverse with the axle down as it is a stering axle but does nothing when the axle is raised. I would think that if you are empty with both axles down that is taking alot of weight off the parking brake axles and could cause it to roll away. I am willing to bet something is hooked up backwards.