I have an item on the intake that looks like a toad stool with 2 wires on the bottom of it. No idea. Thanks
A photo and a make and model would sure help your cause
It's a 1984 580d
Does the top of it come off
No
A switch that triggers some sort of alarm when the intake restriction exceeds a certain value.? Try connecting the two wires together with the key ON. Does it set off an alarm in the cab.?
I bet your right Nige
Is it used to tell you when to change or clean the air filter?
That is the air cleaner restriction indicator.
I should have said air cleaner restriction indicator switch . I need to proof read more closely before posting.
Ford tractors used them too, back in the 80s. Didn't work so good for us. Many machines came in our with them disconnected.
Most ag engines used that type of air filter restriction indicator system. Nowadays on new ag engines i’m not sure what they use
Probably the plastic Donaldson gauge's that show red when there's too much restriction and the filter needs to be cleaned or replaced.
The warning light in the cab display was/is a hell of a lot better than the plastic indicator type that most operators don’t ever look at
Sometimes the plastic indicators are on the dash but I agree a light or buzzer would be better. Much easier to install the plastic indicators is probably why they're the most common. There's less to go wrong with the plastic indicators.
Less to go wrong but they break easily whereas the metal ones usually bend or squash before they break