Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Odd grease fitting on Cat 307 excavator stick hydraulic cylinder

Jackson · 2019-03-30 16:55

this cylindar was out for rebuilding and came back missing the fitting. Actually it looks like the cylinder is supposed to have a line connected where a zerk would normally go and that line would go to a more accessible spot for easy greasing. For the life of me I can’t find anything to fit the threads on the cylinder. Any suggestions?

Replies34
  1. #1Nige2019-03-30 17:04

    We aren't wizards you know. How about a machine Serial Number and a photo..?

  2. #2John Shipp2019-03-30 17:31

    No Nige, gotta love the extra challenge. Lets see, did you try unscrewing the grease fitting off the grease gun, and see if the threaded hose end fits? 1/8 pt. Total guess, but might be lucky bullseye.

  3. #3kshansen2019-03-30 19:11

    Nige, It's not like there are a dozen different S/N prefixes! OH! wait just counted and there are sixteen! And knowing Cat there are more than a few different S/N breaks for most of them. To the Original Poster, also known as the OP, we are trying to help not just you but everyone who is reading this. The simple fact is the better and more complete the information one gives up front the faster and better the information will come back to you!

  4. #4Pixie2019-03-31 06:38

    My serial # starts 9ZL .....

  5. #5Nige2019-03-31 06:52

    A grey market machine equivalent to a 2PM-prefix Serial Number. There is a Serial Number break at 2PM00256, above that number the parts information is different.

  6. #6kshansen2019-03-31 11:26

    Might be a crazy thought but did you check with the shop that rebuilt the cylinder to see if the fitting was sitting on someones work bench? Who removed the cylinder to send it out? Was the fitting in there at that time? A picture would answer many questions.

  7. #7DMiller2019-03-31 14:40

    We had Cap type lube fittings on fixed equipment in the Power Station, flat and a button looking head.

  8. #8kshansen2019-03-31 17:41

    You mean like these: https://source4industries.com/linco...MItaGM4qqt4QIVSpyzCh2lPgwLEAYYAyABEgJh1PD_BwE Had a couple stationary units with those, believe they were on something in the Black Top mill. I know they come in two different sizes believe they are either 5/8 or 7/8 diameter on the buttons.

  9. #9DMiller2019-03-31 18:43

    Those would be the monsters. Saw them at the Quarries too, usually on the severe duty greaseable mechanisms and some electric motors.

  10. #10buckfever2019-03-31 20:55

    I have a bobcat 442 (Terex) that has those on the slack adjusters.

  11. #11heymccall2019-03-31 23:12

    Everything I see on that is 1/8-27, Like most of my Cats.

  12. #12JD955SC2019-04-02 06:39

    If it’s serviced by the grease line there should be an adapter that threads into the hole for the grease line to connect to. Should be easy to find in SIS They probably took it off and forgot to put it back on

  13. #13Nige2019-04-02 07:09

    Well the OP has never been back since he first posted so I guess we'll never know ...........

  14. #14kshansen2019-04-02 09:48

    Guess this will be another "Zombie Thread"? Strange how some will come on here with a question then disappear, checked this guys history and he was first on here back in 2011!

  15. #15Pixie2019-04-02 16:41

    Well I learned something ! Thanks, Nige, I didn't know about the serial # break. I have the correct parts book in Japanese but my English version is after the break. I haven't found much different in the books. And those big grease fittings are interesting, too !

  16. #16Nige2019-04-02 17:59

    If it’s 1/8” NPT thread then the correct part number for a regular grease zerk fitting is 3B-4849. Whether your 9ZL machine falls below or above the Serial Number break would depend on what comes after 9ZL. The S/N break is not 00256 on the 9ZL range. I’d have to look to find out, that’s a job for tomorrow.

  17. #17Nige2019-04-03 04:19

    Serial Number break on 9ZL-prefix is 2310. See below.

  18. #18Pixie2019-04-03 07:22

    Thank you very much, Nige !

  19. #19Pixie2019-04-03 08:46

    Hmm... my serial # doesn't match up well. It's 9ZL042xx. My Japanese parts book is for 9ZL02311-9ZL078701.

  20. #20check2019-04-03 10:00

    Sometimes people subscribe to a thread and their ISP sends email notifications to a spam quarantine.

  21. #21Nige2019-04-03 10:16

    Yes it does. Your Parts Manual covers everything from 9ZL02311 up to 9ZL05254 (the last machine ever built, any S/N with a 7 at the start is a rebuild that has been given a new S/N). At 9ZL042xx your machine is right in the middle of that S/N range.

  22. #22Pixie2019-04-03 10:43

    Thanks. I guess I was taking the #s in your attachment too literally. The first # under 'Jpn' has a 1 after 9ZL and the second # has no zero at the beginning. So my English parts book Is the right one ! Great !

  23. #23Nige2019-04-03 11:35

    In Cat speak ........ 9ZL1 = 9ZL00001 9ZL2310 = 9ZL02310 Most service documentation never usually includes the zeros, therefore as another example 9ZL1-Up = 9ZL00001-Up

  24. #24Pixie2019-04-03 11:36

    Thanks for the clarification !

  25. #25kshansen2019-04-04 09:01

    Am I missing something here? 9ZL042XX is above 9ZL02311 and below 9ZL078701 so wouldn't that put the machine in that range for you book?

  26. #26Pixie2019-04-04 15:03

    It didn't match up well with the #s in Nige's post #18 because I didn't understand that Cat didn't use zeros and misinterpreted the #s he showed . Dyslexia makes me look like a fool quite often . I should learn to enjoy it or make fun of it or something

  27. #27Nige2019-04-04 15:13

    If it's any consolation you're not the first person to be confused by it, and you surely won't be the last .......... I seem to recall one poster swearing blind we were recommending him the wrong document because the Cat Publications web site listed it as "suits ABC1-Up" and his machine Serial Number was "ABC00xxx" so how could the document be the correct one...?

  28. #28Cmark2019-04-04 16:37

    If the numerical 'padding' doesn't confuse you, here's another interesting factoid. The serial prefixes are arranged by the rightmost character first, then left, then middle, so for example some prefixes correctly arranged in ascending order would be; 126 98F 81J 8HJ ABJ 5NR Now is that as clear as mud?

  29. #29Nige2019-04-04 16:42

    Yes indeedy, and if your Serial Number prefix only has 2 characters as they did in the dim and distant past (e.g. 7Rxxxx), then you not only have to put a zero in front of the prefix when looking for info but also one between the prefix and the 4-digit Serial Number. So you go from 7Rxxxx (or in extremis with a really early machine 7Rxxx) to 0 7R 0 xxxx or 0 7R 0 0 xxx I bet you're really confused now..?

  30. #30Pixie2019-04-04 17:52

    Confused ? Not me Haha. I can understand adding zeros to make a # the right length and I can understand eliminating them in the interest of saving space but arranging them by the third digit is stupid and unnecessarily obscure.

  31. #31kshansen2019-04-04 19:39

    And if you think this is a Cat only problem don't bet on it! I spent a good amount of time this morning trying to locate and download a manual for Ariens a guy on another forum was looking for to fix he snow blower. I tried all those tricks that can work with Cat to no avail then just happened to decide to update the information on my snowblower which had a completely different Model number. than the one this guy had posted. First thing I notice in the list of machines the manual for mine says it works for is the long list of model numbers in the format this guy's machine had and his was just a slightly older version of mine. I think some of the problem is back when any of these companies started building machines, be it Cat making dozers or some company making lawn equipment, they can not imagine how varied a line of equipment they will be producing in 20 to 30 years. Then they set up a numbering system that just plain runs out of variables. So this forces them to somehow add in more variables. Then someone comes along and invents computers that can be very stubborn how they deal with numbers and letters. Like the guy in the office where I worked when he got his first computer could not understand why it made a big problem if he typed "O" instead of "0" like he had done on mechanical type writer for years!

  32. #32Nige2019-04-05 04:46

    It makes sense when you think about it. Serial numbers originally had a 2-character prefix (e.g. 7R or 6X) and a 4-digit identification number because back in the day nobody ever thought more than 10,000 of any particular product would be produced - right..? An example would be 7R1234. The logic is the same. Add a zero before the identification number - thus 1234 becomes 01234 and gives the opportunity to produce 100,000 units before you run into problems. In the case of the prefix and by the same logic as above add a zero in front of the two letter/digit prefixes - so 7R becomes 07R and then the ability to use three characters instead of two permits the creation of prefixes such as 2YD, 3TZ, 442, or 126. These days I always "decipher" Serial Numbers by starting at the RH side and going back 5 digits. Whatever the next three characters to the left are from that point must be the prefix. Simples............

  33. #33CatKC2019-04-05 09:23

    All this 'serial number talk' is quite enlightening. I've learned a great deal from it. Another thing that causes problems, the 'O' and the 'zero' are frequently confused and if you don't know to expect a number or a character you'll never find what you are looking for.

  34. #34kshansen2019-04-05 11:17

    Yep! go back to my post #32, and the last paragraph, that guy could have really messed things up big time! On another note. Anyone else notice that this thread is now up to 35 posts and the OP has not stopped back yet? Hope he is okay!