Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Odd odors/smells when brush cutting/clearing….

DDoug ยท 2015-06-18 10:10

New to this, been brush hogging/clearing with a skid loader mounted unit. When I go in the woods, ussually ferns and stuff around, I smell a strong odor of citronella (just like the candles). Sometimes the nicest smelling mint too. And cleaning along the field line the other day....well, it's uhm... Like dog doo on asphalt on a hot day...phew.

Replies10
  1. #1tmc_312015-06-18 12:09

    Chinese brushcutter?

  2. #2Delmer2015-06-18 13:07

    Digger doug in his best soprano voice: "the hills are alive with the smells of bushhogging" This is all natures bounty right? not overheating equipment.

  3. #3DDoug2015-06-18 13:15

    Yup, no hydraulic smells, hoses get warm to touch but not painfully hot, have run for an hour or more, no problems. Definitly something I'm getting into, that causes different smells.

  4. #4DDoug2015-06-18 13:29

    No, my own build ( I did use a Taiwanese gearbox) but nothing "mechanical smelling".

  5. #5Tinkerer2015-06-18 15:19

    You should take a good look for that stuff when you hit it. It may be a money maker. I have encountered the dog poo smell many times when cutting red oaks.

  6. #6Todd v.2015-06-21 09:24

    Cedar stinks pretty bad when first cut as well, probably the stinkiest thing I run into. But yes, if you do it long enough you'll learn the different smells.

  7. #7DDoug2015-06-23 08:32

    Red oak...check Cedar...check Any other stinky stuff ? Let's not discuss "ground bee's" ...ouch man, I need a cab....

  8. #8old-iron-habit2015-06-23 20:27

    Lets see some pictures. I love homebuilt equipment.

  9. #9DDoug2015-06-24 07:30

    HeavyEquipmentForums

  10. #10Steve Frazier2015-06-24 23:46

    There's a spindly weed with yellow flowers in my area that gags me when I cut it. I don't know what it is, it tends to grow in shaded areas. Puts out a real pungent fume that just sets me into coughing!