Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Odd size tires on a grader

clay digger ยท 2014-02-19 20:58

I have a Wabco 555 with 1400 x 24 tires. They are pretty well cracked and with the tube starting to show on one of them, I started looking for replacements. I found 3 new yokohamas at a clearout price and will look for a fourth. I was thinking of putting two new ones on one side and running the old ones on the other side until I can find a fourth. I am assuming I am easier on the drive train this way than having mismatched tires on one side. Any thoughts? Thanks Brent

Replies2
  1. #1DonBC2014-02-23 17:08

    I am not familiar with that machine but some of the older graders did not differential gears between the two sides so all four wheels were locked together. In that case it would be essential to have all four tires the same. If there are differential gears then two new on one side and two old on the other is the best option.

  2. #2bushcat2014-02-23 17:23

    1400 x24 tires were a very common size on the older champion graders,and were made by many manufactuers,you should be able to find some. good luck