Never seen one till I stumbled across this Kenworth on northern Vancouver Island. Are/where they common? Pictures taken September 2015. To be continued...
Some more: Has not moved for awhile by the looks of it. (Sorry for the hand part that is in some of the photos, it was raining rather heavily and I was trying to keep the lens dry)
Trainman That picture wasn't taken by chance in Mcniel was it? Truck used to haul chunks at Kelsey Bay. I recognize it for sure. One of the Fontaine brothers drove it. Vic I'm sure but not positive. I was pretty young when he headed up island.
BTC, that is exactly were I saw it. It is in a pit about 3-4 kms on the mainline off the highway.
It is Vic Fontains, he did have two of them there and sold one .
I like it. In this area we had a few self loaders with pole trailers back in the seventies when pole length wood was all the rage, but they have pretty much disapeared. What is the purpose of the winch on the boom? I am not familar with that concept.
Winch is for out of reach logs i think
We had a guy running around here with a KW 850 and it was a self loader. It even came into the shop for some welding repairs. It was blue and loader was orange. That was back in the 80's last time I saw it. The guy had that and a FMC track skidder and was running around the valley logging small claims etc. Cheers L.D.
:iagree That is what I think too. Next time I am up that way I will look to see what is on the end of the cable, if set up for chokers then bingo!
Winch is mounted on the stick and there's a fairlead at the tip, maybe 075 can confirm. By the way Happy new year to all!
Pretty sure that were a set of tongs on the end of the winch line. The second loader would drag it out to the out of reach wood and set them .Then when the log was on truck it was easy to get the tongs out with the grapple.
Got a little booklet from Jim Falconer with these in it to add to this thread.
Blkprince Remember these ones? They had the "Live Boom" whereas the Venture booms did not elevate but used the whole swing assy as a water tank for the brakes. The EE ZEE loaders had a hydraulic cylinder in there so they could not use it for a water tank
HDX,Idid not know about the loader with a lift cylinder. G and S had one in Nitinat with water tank in the boom. Learned a new fact already in 2016. Thanks. Cannot remember where EZee Loader shop was in Courtenay. Area of Walmart?
On the left coming into Courtenay the old way right beside the highway. They also were the ones that would convert you older Seattle stakes and bunks into the "NEW hi stake bunks" There was always a set of converted bunks laying around there. Man sure would have liked to find their old take off stakes. All those original "Seattle stakes" were turfed into the scrap bin. Bummer!!! There was a fellow by the name of Tony Korsa (hope I spelled jis name right) that had a blacksmith/machine shop across the road down in the hole that was there right up till a few years ago He was a real wealth of history and info Really nice guy