Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

off road fuel

shadow2 ยท 2013-10-26 17:48

i need to find the right tank for above ground storidge with the contament tank around it two 500 gallon tank one on and one off. i am also doing a 750 gallon fuel trailer with an air grease gun i need to meet the 1000 gallon delivery for the price break of 10 cents per gallons thanks for your help

Replies13
  1. #1Randy882013-11-04 19:17

    Not sure if your wanting to build one or buy one, if your a contractor you might want smaller tanks, in my state anything over 110 gallons per tank needs a hazmat endorsement to move, but I can have up to a total of 1500 gallons total in less than 110 gallon tanks and avoid the hazmat and hiked insurance costs to have hazmat. Everyone around me has a machine shop build the containment tank and just puts an ordinary tank inside it for storage, as for trailers, most around me are custom built to meet the persons specifications and needs, a few can be bought just google them on the internet, I can't recall now but several send me emails all the time about their trailers for sale.

  2. #2CM19952013-11-04 19:30

    Randy I think that's a Federal hazmat rule but I could be mistaken, we have the same reg. here. :beatsme Shadow are you wanting two 500 gal tanks at the shop? If so you can get 500 gal double walled tanks, in AL they meet reg's without secondary containment. If you are required to have containment, then a concrete pad with concrete block walls around it can be an economical solution. I don't remember the calculation but I think it's 1 and 1/2 times the size of the tank. Check your local and State regs.

  3. #3Nige2013-11-04 20:22

    110% of the size of the largest tank CM. That's why a couple of smaller tanks behind the same containment wall will actually require a smaller size of containment than one large one. Obviously the theory is that no more than one tank will fail at one time.

  4. #4willie592013-11-04 21:04

    I use a 500 gal double wall tank like CM mentioned at our shop, meets regulations without a containment pit.

  5. #5ValleyFirewood2013-11-04 21:31

    I use a 275 gal basement fuel oil tank. Just have 100 gal min on delivery, paid in cash gets the best price. Last I bought was 3.75 while road fuel is 4.10. Odd thing, I've never seen dyed fuel. It's clear if its on or off road fuel.

  6. #6AK HDM2013-11-04 22:34

    Alaska is exempt from using dyed fuel. If we had to use dyed fuel the fuel barge companies would have to have another fleet of barges, & a lot of the bush villages would have to have another tank farm for the non dyed fuel , Some of the villages use one fuel which is Jet A so they can use it year around.

  7. #7ValleyFirewood2013-11-12 07:23

    What source do you have on that? I have a few friends that work for Crowley and Fisher and they had no idea on the reason. I'm not saying you aren't correct, but before I tell others, just wanted more than "read it on the interweb"

  8. #8Tinkerer2013-11-12 09:11

    The dyeing information starts on page 118 in The U.S. Master Tax Guide. Here is the link to it. http://books.google.com/books?id=Pd...epage&q=alaska exempt from dying fuel&f=false

  9. #9Jumbo2013-11-12 19:08

    The question I am curious about is why a fuel tank in the first place? I know of no company hat has their own fuel tanks any more, with permitting and construction costs it is cheaper to have a transfer tank in their work trucks to fill equipment. If there is a fuel requirement exceeding what you can haul in a work truck, they contract with a fueling company to do all the refueling. The costs here (Pacific NW) preclude storing your own fuel CFN and Pacific Pride have both highway and off highway fuel almost on every street corner it seems. There is just no decent price break handling your own fuel.

  10. #10AK HDM2013-11-13 00:08

    shadow, I think your best bet would be to get double wall tanks like CM said. A lot of the contractors here in the Fairbanks area use them. Do any of your fuel suppliers have tanks you can rent or use? ValleyFirewood, Here is a link http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/diesel/420f05028.pdf

  11. #11AK HDM2013-11-13 00:31

    ValleyFirewood, here is Alaska DEC argument to the feds on the dye, http://dec.alaska.gov/air/anpms/as/doc/ULSD-finalrec.pdf

  12. #12JBGASH2013-11-13 07:49

    I have onsite fuel- no-lead gas, clear and dyed diesel bulk storage for the convienence to get equipment fueled prior to leaving for the jobsite, it normally is a few cents more but in my opinion worth every cent of it. We also have several tanks in trucks that are under the 110 gallon threshold to get around the hazmat issue.

  13. #13ValleyFirewood2013-11-14 08:18

    Thanks!