Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best retaining (snap) ring pliers?

lukestafford · 2013-10-26 18:24

Hey, I’m new to heavy equipment so a question for the experienced out there. I need to remove some external retaining rings off several pins between 2” and 2.5” in diameter. No sure on the pin size except they are bigger than 0.09”. I bought a 10” Channellock #928 which immediately broke in two (literally-- the iron cracked apart) after several pins snapped. So I need a new set. How big of a set of pliers do I need? What brand should I get? How important is a locking handle? Thanks in advance. Luke

Replies10
  1. #1kshansen2013-10-26 19:46

    I would stay away from reversible/convertible style for most applications. As to how big a set depends on how heavy a snap ring you are working with, this also goes for the locking. Normal standard weight rings to fit 2.5 inch rings should be no problem with non-locking types. For a set for bigger than 0.090" holes how about these?: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PROTO-Individual-Retaining-Ring-Plier-5C629?Pid=search

  2. #2mitch5042013-10-26 20:39

    Now, I'm the opposite, I really like this pair of convertible, ratchet locking, replaceable tip pliers. Mine are Wright 9H65, but a lot of tool companies sell the identical ones, I'm not sure who makes them. http://www.wrighttool.com/online_catalog.asp

  3. #3lukestafford2013-10-26 20:56

    Thanks guys. The rings are on a 1969 Case 680ck TLB. Not locking but heavy gage. The Channellock tips and then the casting broke well before the ring was anywhere near wide enough.

  4. #4theironoracle2013-10-26 21:43

    search lang hi-tech, in ebay these things are amazing for very heavy snap rings, for your smaller stuff buy snap-on/blue point, I have used many sets from s&k, craftsman, napa, proto, but nothing is like the snap on....TIO

  5. #5sheepfoot2013-10-27 09:36

    You can order the pliers from Case dealers. The pliers are CAS1133B and sell for around $16.25. Like others have said snap on, mac, blue point, proto, and others make the heavy duty type. Several dealers have online ordering Coleman was used for this price, they and others can ship it to you and

  6. #6kshansen2013-10-27 10:01

    Those lang hi-tech do look like a good option for the extra heavy duty rings! My preference for non-reversible is due to the slimmer design that allows them to reach down inside a bore for internal applications. Snap-on and Mac are good tools which is what most of my ring pliers are at work.

  7. #7lukestafford2013-10-27 10:12

    The lang hi-tech that look like a gear puller certainly look nice but the specs are for really big rings. The smaller ones only work up to two inches per the specs. I ordered the 9.5" Protos but I'm worried I won't have the hand strength to open the rings wide enough. Not that I'm particularly weak but they are very stiff (maybe both! ). Luke

  8. #8eric122013-10-27 13:20

    i have these and they last, i had the channel lock ones and the little metal piece inside snapped on me too. i got mine replaced for free so i still have and use the channel lock pliers but just for small stuff. these williams pliers work for everything bigger real well and lock in place so you don't have to hold the snap ring closed or open. http://www.amazon.com/Williams-PL-5...3&sr=1-9&keywords=snap+ring+pliers+heavy+duty

  9. #9mikebramel2013-10-27 20:12

    Three sets Knipex $400 Imperial/Craftsman/Blue Point $150 Qtr-Turns Matco (made by Kastar Lang??) $200 And for the big ones OTC $180

  10. #10RayF2013-10-28 10:01

    I bought these for the Snap rings in Cat Equaliser Bars http://www.tools-plus.com/lang-87.html