Good day all. I'm joining this forum today because there was an auction yesterday. Seems I now own a Case 780B. I don't think I'm suffering buyer's remorse, more just shock... I'm currently looking for Operator's Manual, shop manual, that sort of thing. Seems to be lots of info on the 580s on the net, less so for the 780s. Any help appreciated.
Welcome to HEF, s.mil, That is quite a beast you bought ! I have the service manual for the engine. But not for the entire machine. Send me your email address in a Private Conversation and I will send it to you. Ebay may be your only hope of finding the service manual. Do a Google search for it. The new CNH manual that is on-line is quite worthless after they revised the website. Go to this website and download the parts manual. https://www.minnpar.com/manuals4.aspx?FName=CASE (CNH) MANUALS&SFName=CNH (CASE) LOADER BACKHOE MANUALS&SSFName=BACKHOE (CASE) 780 SERIES PARTS MANUALS
Done (I think... not used to this forum software). Thanks for the link. Yes, definitely more machine than I need, but I got it for less than I've seen older model 580 advertised for. Just hoping I didn't get a lemon. My success at auctions is only so so.
Don't feel like you are alone, there are whole threads on here discussing that... Welcome and this is a good place to be, lots of helpful people and a fair bit of good advice!
Welcome! Hope it is a good one. Do an through inspection. If it looks really expense to repair cut your looses and take it to another auction.
Good luck with a 780 those things are a horse for work
It was delivered today.
Lacking an operator's manual (and most of the labels on the various controls), help me out here please. A - Foot throttle B - Key switch C - Needs to turn it clockwise for the starter to engage... not sure what else it controls. D - No idea E - Fuel cut off F - Gear selector G - Hand throttle H - Park brake I - I have no idea what this is for... should it move easily? J - Loader control K - brakes L - shuttle shift M - ??? N - switch missing the knob, no idea what it does O - ??? P - another switch missing the knob, no idea what it does Q - ??? R -???
Fleabay will be your friend on this for manuals, even as I am not fond of Ebay. Can do a Google Search for Case 780B Manuals, usually those on ebay and what is also being sold at other sites will show.
M will control/energize your ether start solenoid. N, O and P will be lights or some such. I think D is your turn signal switch. Find a manual. Worth it's weight in Case Parts
I, is exactly what is says. You have an air operated clutch cut out. When activated, the brake pedal will put the shuttle in neutral. Prolly the left one. M, is the activator for the ether injector for cold starts. O, Switch for the boom floodlight. Q, May be a low air pressure warning light, a buzzer should sound off when the air pressure drops to about 60 psi. R, Should have a push button switch for checking if all the dash lights work. As you may know you have air brakes, There should be a steel bar on the pedals that you can use individual brakes or both at the same time when roading it. The amber warning light on the top of the cab has a switch and the cab heater also if it has a heater
C looks like a battery disconnect switch.
Turns out you can get them from www.casece.com , $US50.00 for the operator's manual. Have to see if that is working before winter returns. Don't expect to be using it this winter, but it would be nice if it would start. head lights/tail lights, rear flood lights and 4 way flashers, according to the manual Correct. I had never heard of such a thing before, so was not sure of its purpose in life. Being air activated, I assume that lever is for an air valve and it should turn relatively easily? 'Cause it doesn't want to move. According to the manual, that should be a switch; for the amber light on top of the cab. Things that make you go "hmmmm". That is possibly the best idea I have seen; a way to know that your warning lights actually work. Air brakes, yes, that loud hissing noise that scares the crap out of me 'cause I'm not used to it yet. There is a bunch of switches up on headliner that I haven't gotten around to worrying about yet. Glad I'm not planning on putting this to work until the spring. I think you are right, based on the gauge of wire running up to it. The manual doesn't show any such switch so this might have been somebody's way of dealing with electrical problems. Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.
I hope that loud hissing noise is only when you release brakes after applying them, not all the time! Same for the parking brake, should only hear the air when moving the valve, push in and it should release the brakes pull back out and it applies them. As for the K maybe someone can confirm if not already done that right is for right rear and left is for left rear. Not sure if this would have a way to link both brakes like with the John Deere Back-hoe we had at work. I, is exactly what is says. You have an air operated clutch cut out. When activated, the brake pedal will put the shuttle in neutral. Prolly the left one. I had never heard of such a thing before, so was not sure of its purpose in life. Being air activated, I assume that lever is for an air valve and it should turn relatively easily? 'Cause it doesn't want to move. That lever should flip up and down easy just like a toggle switch. if it's stuck it should be available at any good truck parts place, many different application at least on older trucks!
No, it is not all the time... that is why it manages to scare me half the time Yup, left and right brakes with a bar to lock them together. Thanks. I will try to loosen it up.
Well you need to find that "loud hissing sound" should be easy if it is loud! Get a old Windex or other spray bottle and fill it with water and maybe a few drops of dish washing liquid and spay it everywhere you think there might be an air leak causing that hissing, heck spray any thing that might have an air line hooked to it! The bubbles will let you know where the leak is! Then send a picture of where the hissing is and someone can tell if that is normal, maybe do a short video with sound that might help determine if it's a good hiss or a bad hiss
Attached below is a page out of a Bendix catalog I'm guessing that valve is a TW-1 It is also the same as a Haldex KN20001 valve I see some crazy prices online but would think you could find either one for under $50, maybe even half that! Just did a quick check at NAPA without any special discount I see it going for $38.00
OK one more! No connection just showing that they are out there! https://www.ebay.com/itm/229635-TW-...Lv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2386202.c100677.m4598
"Oh, what I have I done" I felt the same way when I bought my 780 a few months ago. It's a lot of machine. Thanks to the guys on here I got it fired up and home without losing the few hairs left on my head. I bought my manuals on ebay. Now that work is slowing down I'm hoping to start taking care of several items on mine. Let me know if you have any easy questions or need any references from the manual or parts book.