Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transmission rebuild for Case 580 M

Joebob1988 ยท 2020-10-22 11:26

Does anyone know the best place to get a rebuilt transmission for a Case 580 super M backhoe? Mine is smoked.

Replies11
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-10-22 14:05

    It's going to cost prohibitive to buy a rebuild. $7,250 + core charge $1000 + shipping both ways maybe. Here is one ---> https://www.brokentractor.com/c/case-backhoe/transmission-and-rear-end-axle-rebuilt/ You may have some luck finding a used one in a salvage yard. The problem with a used one is it may need a rebuild. What is wrong with yours ? I ask because it is unusual for one to be sooo bad it can't be rebuilt.

  2. #2Joebob19882020-10-22 14:53

    Thanks, I assume mine is rebuildable. I am looking for a place that rebuilds these type of transmissions. I think is a bit beyond my level of expertise to rebuild it myself. I got a quote of $7800 for a rebuild, but I was hoping for a better price.

  3. #3alrman2020-10-22 15:12

    Is this the Carraro shuttleshift transmission? What is wrong with it? What is it doing / not doing? Has it been diagnosed by a tech? How many hours are on the machine?

  4. #4Joebob19882020-10-22 17:15

    7000 Hours on the machine. Parking brake would not release. operator drove it to the shop anyway. I fixed the parking brake issue. unit does not want to go. it will go if you rev it up. Brake is not still locked up, because it will roll without resistance when brake is turned off. I drained the fluid. fluid was black and smelled like burnt clutch. had lots of metal flake on plug and also on filter screen. I think it is done. IDK what trans it is. The unit has a manual shift stick with 4 gears. Forward and reverse are shifted on the steering column.

  5. #5alrman2020-10-23 05:10

    Yes, it is the Carraro Shuttleshift. How old is the oil the transmission? Is it Case Hytrans oil? It smells really bad if it's old..... Maybe the charge pump has died & maybe that's all that's wrong with it?? That would put some metal in the oil. If seen 10,000+ hrs + on those transmissions. Have a look at this thread - 580L with same trans, that had a crook charge pump - they can put alot of metal in the system when they go

  6. #6melben2020-10-23 08:28

    Remove the shuttle filter and cut it apart and check for lots of metal, as ALR has stated, internal failure on those units is rare, but pumps were an issue on earlier Ls. The park brake is in the rear axle and no oils are exchanged between the two units. Here again, stall tests would tell us a lot more. the tachs on those machines are usually reliable so if you send stall figures it will give us a bit of insight.

  7. #7Joebob19882020-10-23 12:16

    Mine is a 580 super M the parking brake solenoid/valve is on the transmission, so I would assume the parking brake is in the trans on this unit. there was lots of metal in the spin on filter and the screen in the bottom near the drain plug.

  8. #8Joebob19882020-10-23 12:18

    can the charge pump be replaced without removing the transmission?

  9. #9alrman2020-10-23 17:18

    No, the transmission needs to be removed to gain access to the charge pump. PS - the solenoid/valve you are seeing on the transmission - with hose going to rear axle - is for the diff lock, not the brakes. Brakes function completely separate from the transmission. 2 x master cylinders at the pedals provide the hydraulic pressure, delivered to the rear axle via steel tubing along chassis & rubber hoses to the axle.

  10. #10Joebob19882020-10-23 21:38

    Thanks, I was afraid it did. According to the Case parts manual for my machine the solenoid/valve on the back left side of the the transmission is for the parking brake. It does not have a hose going to the rear diff. As far as I know, the parking brake on mine is in the transmission. I am going to tear into it once it is out and see what all is bad. The gearbox itself may be ok. and as folks are saying, the charge pump may be going out. I'm not sure, but I assume the fwd/reverse function must work like and automatic trans and the band or clutches may be worn as well. I will know more once I have it apart. I'm hoping to fix it for far less than the $7500 for a rebuild. Thanks all for the input.

  11. #11alrman2020-10-24 02:15

    So, you actually have a 580M Series 3 ...... NOT a 580 M (series 1) - they run a different type of Carraro transmission. The charge pumps look the same (with the troublesome idler gear) but are different part numbers. Hopefully, it is still the cause of your problem.