Hi, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what weight engine oil and what filter i would use in a 1989 john deere 210c backhoe? Also does the transmission take the same fluid as the hydraulic system? Thanks, Lee
You need a Deere T19044 oil filter for the engine. I've tried after market filters like Baldwin but the Deere Filter is packaged better (sealed in plastic) and priced better. For Oil I use Rotella 15w-40 for all my diesel engines.
The transmission, reverser and hydraulic system all use Deere Hy-gard. The hydraulic filter for a 210c is Deere AT184206 This is expensive but repairing a pump is even more so.
Hosspuller, I've had some other things going on that had my attention,and to be honest I forgot that I even started this thread. But you answered my questions and I really appreciate that. The timing couldn't be better either, because I'm going today to get everything i need. So thank you, Lee
Tractor supply is having a sale to 9/4 ... 5 gallon pail of Shell Rotella T 15W-40 for $59.99 or $12 / gallon
Was there at 10am. Best thing about it was, I didn't know there was a sale until I got there. I was hoping that the hydraulic fluid was on sale too,but it wasn't Got lucky for once with the oil.thank you for the heads up.
Be careful of the TSC hydraulic fluid . Remember, your backhoe has wet brakes that operate in the fluid. And the reverser has a clutch in it too. The Heavy duty tractor fluid that Walmart sells is "Recommended for J20C" I want to know by who. Those words do NOT mean it meets Deere's J20C specifications. If you think fluid is expensive, check the prices of hydraulic pumps and valves... not the loader valves (they're relatively cheap)... the steering valve, the priority valve, reverser, etc.
Hosspuller, could you please explain to me a little more about the tractor supply brand vs.john deere hy gard? I sure don't want to mess up my machine because I saved a few dollars on hydraulic fluid. Truthfully I'm already a little worried about what you wrote, I've been using the travellers brand for probably at least 4 or 5 years now.now that you brought this to my attention I'm worried I've been screwing up my hoe for that long. You mentioned the brakes, trans,reverser,and steering valve thats a lot to mess up. Isn't the hydraulic system for the hoe,loader and the outriggers separate from the trans and.,reverser ? I don't know about the brakes or steering valve. I used to put hy gard only in it, but after a few blown hoses and the back boom cyclinder being rebuilt i went with the travellers to save money. I did do some looking on various forums before I switched and saw nothing but good things being said about it. I'm very interested in hearing from you on this, Lee The vent system for the hydraulic tank above the radiator, had a mud wasp plug it up and the big return line blew off,dumped the hydraulic fluid from the tank on the ground. I won't put the bucket of fluid in until I hear from you. Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention
If it is the the 303 or All Season iso 46 grade oil you bought do not use it. The Premium Universal claims to meet John Deere JDM J20C specs. But your machine may require John Deere J20 D specs.
Tinkerer has addressed the TSC fluid. I was speaking to MY search for a fluid. I looked at the Walmart stuff and decided NO. I think your 210c is the same as my 310c. The hydraulic system is the same fluid for steering, loader, BH, stabilizers. Steering goes through a priority valve, then the steering valve, then the steering cylinder. Transmission, torque converter, reverser, brakes use the transmission case for the reservoir. From your description of the return hose... you're filling the main hydraulic system.
Agree, they can use the samd transmission filters and oil filters if the engine is the same.For filter it will be the best if you choose the best quality ones with best media material.