I'm changing oil and filters on my terex boom truck. The manual on the winch says to thread a 1" pipe into the drum to drain the oil but the threads don't line up. Any thoughts on what's going on or how I can get it into alignment?
I have the same set up on mine, in your second picture it looks like the plug and outer hole line up. On mine to drain I screw the pipe in and use a long handled Allen key to pull the plug out and drain the oil out , then put the plug back in and move the plug to the top hole and add oil to level
That's the way it's supposed to work but the pipe won't thread into the drum. The threads barely don't line up. It's hard to get a good picture.
It is a 3/4" or 1" pipe thread, I don't remember which. On a T-340, I had to clean the paint out of the threads to get the pipe to start in the threads, if you clean up your threads, I bet the pipe would start in the outer plate threads. I cut the pipe as long as possible while still being able to access the winch drum plug. I loosened the plug first, screwed the pipe into the outer plate threads and then like "Tradesman" said use the allen wrench through the pipe to remove the plug.
What about a piece of plastic pipe with the end threaded might flex enough to start in
I tried a PVC pipe but that doesn't flex much. I'll try to clean the threads out. Maybe it was binding on something in the threads. Sure felt like the alignment was off. Thanks for the input guys.
I was thinking abs with plastic joiner if the threads cross threaded it wouldn't matter
Any luck with your winch
I didn't get to it today. I did replace the filter though. Had to go buy a new strap wrench to get the old one off. Betting it has never been changed. The old one was 7" but I had the room so I replaced it with an 11". I figure extra capacity can't hurt. I also flipped the pressure gauge to the other side of the housing so I can see it from the controls. Replaced the breather filter too. I should have known better when taking the filter off. It would have been easier if I had popped the bottom with a nail and let it drain first. In stead I loosened it and oil poured down the sides. I caught it all but taking off a oily filter was no fun.
They make flexible sprinkler risers, not sure about 1" but you might see if you could find something like that at your local Lowes or whatever homecenter or hardware.