Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil in rear deferential Ford 555

tom2536 ยท 2010-04-20 21:04

I just replaced leaking rubber seal for the brake rod on my 79 555 and couldn't find a way to check the fluid level. Is there a plug to remove somewhere to show the level of the fluid? and do I use regular hydraulic fluid. I think I saw the one for the transmission on the left side halfway up. Thanks Tom

Replies9
  1. #1jimg9842010-04-21 16:02

    my 555a has removable plates onhe floor platform to access plugs with dipsticks on the top

  2. #2tom25362010-04-21 20:06

    Thank You. Tom

  3. #3daman2010-04-21 20:39

    No not hydraulic oil you need to use a Universal trans/hydraulic oil that meets Fords 134D spec,Walmart has it or tractor supply would be the cheapest places. you would use that type oil in every sump but the engine was it difficult to replace that? mine may need replacing also.

  4. #4tom25362010-04-21 20:54

    Daman, not to hard, cotter pin was hard to get to because the pin wouldn't turn and parts were rusty but after I got it disconnected I hammered a awl under the lip of the seal and got it out enough to get a screwdriver under the lip and pried it out and I hammered the new one it, a little tricky but not to bad but drain a couple of gallons of oil out before you start. don't ask how I know that . Walmart by me don't carry that kind of stuff, remember I'm in NJ Thanks Tom

  5. #5daman2010-04-21 20:58

    Thanks tom so nothing needed removal from the read end just simple prying out the seal from the out side huh? check TSC or any farm type store or even your auto parts store. probably 6 gals you'll need if empty.

  6. #6tom25362010-04-22 19:59

    Yes, just disconnect the linkage and pry it out

  7. #7daman2010-04-22 20:34

    slide off shaft then new one slide on and tap in place?

  8. #8tom25362010-04-22 20:39

    You got it. I'm in the process of replacing a kingpin now, I got the old one out today and will try to put the new one in tomorrow. Is Bad Ax actually the name of your town? Tom

  9. #9daman2010-04-22 20:44

    Ok thanks tom, and yes it is(city).