Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil leak Bobcat S250 rear axle

Harold Clyde · 2021-09-07 23:53

i got a flat on my 2003 S250 (4500 hours). When I removed the LR wheel, I noticed oil and dirt builtup at the wheel hub and exterior axle housing. Then I noticed a sliding w leak from this area. What is the likely cause of oil leak? Axle seal or more significant issue? Can I remove the 3 bolts at the. End of the axle and pull the axle out and replace the seals? I’m a pretty good out o mechanic but this is my first bobcat.

Replies8
  1. #1Bobcat Crazy2021-09-08 05:07

    Welcome Harold, I see that you just joined yesterday, I may not have the info that you need but there are more experienced people on here that will. I have a 2003, S185 Bobcat and I love it I hope you the same with your S250. My axle seals were leaking and I replaced mine last year. Seals and bearings on all four axles. It was a big time consuming job but again mine needed all four seals and all 8 bearings replaced. I work a public job and I don't make my living with my machine so I had the time to work on mine in the evenings after work and it probably took me a week to complete. Hopefully your repair will not be this extensive if you only need to replace the outer seal. I would have thought our machines were very similar but if you have 3 bolts holding the hub on then our machines are not as similar as I thought, other people more familiar with the S250 may be more help to you on this. My b-cat has one single large bolt holding the hub to the axle. So the 3 bolts that you speak of makes me wonder if I have any knowledge to help you with the S250. If your setup is the same as the S185 and has 3 bolts holding the hub on instead or the one large bolt that mine has, the most important thing I can tell you is be very careful when pressing the hub off. Again if it is like mine you will need to loosen the bolts and back them off a few turns but ( DO NOT TAKE THEM ALL OF THE WAY OUT UNTIL YOU HAVE PRESSED THE HUBS LOOSE FROM THE AXLE!!!) I f like mine, once you loosen the bolts and back the off a few turns you will need 2 hydraulic bottle jacks to press the hub off. Place one in front of the axle and one behind the axle. Place them between the hub and the frame/housing meaning the jacks will be laying down instead of standing up. Bottle jacks do not work great laying down but they will work for this as long as you position them correctly and if I remember right the pump part of the jacks have to be at bottom so they have oil to supply the force when you pump them instead sucking air. You may know all of this about jacks already so if you do forgive me for spelling it out like this. I would recommend two matching jacks of at least 12 tons capacity, the smaller ones may work but you will need to apply a tremendous amount of force to get the hub to pop off of the axle! So the larger ton capacity that you can use the better as long as they will fit in the space you have to work with. NOW THE IMPORTANT PART! You have loosened the bolts, Backed them off a few turns so there is room for the hub to pop loose but the bolts are still holding good enough that they will not allow the hub to fly off of the axle and injury you. The hub will come off with such force that it can easily break a bone, It is really dangerous if you do not leave the bolts in to keep it in place when it pops loose. Again this was the procedure for my S185 your S250 may or may not be the same. If I had not read this somewhere (probably on this site from a knowledgeable person) ( a special thanks to whoever that was ) I would have been injured when the hubs came flying off of the axle. This procedure is not that complicated especially if your bearings are good and the seal is all that you need to replace . It takes a little time but it is pretty easy. Have fun and be safe! B-Crazy

  2. #2Txhayseed2021-09-08 20:52

    Bobcat had good advice there. Sometimes those hubs are a pain in the butt to get off. Tomorrow when I get to the shop I can take a picture of the puller assy. I made to help pull the hubs off with a bottle jack. They are tapered with a key way and man o man do they get stuck on there.. I have yet to have one come off with out some form of assistance from a press puller and hammer.

  3. #3Harold Clyde2021-09-08 22:05

    I grabbed a few photos tonight. Three bolts in center of axle. Leak from backside. It sounds like this is going to be fun disassembling it. Any thoughts on if this is just a bad seal? My other three axles have no leaks.

  4. #4Harold Clyde2021-09-08 22:09

    Sounds like I loosen the bolts then place 2 bottle jacks at the yellow arrows and press from frame to hub. Hopefully a quick pop and it’s free. Going back together, it it just torque the bolts to repress the hub?

  5. #5Bobcat Crazy2021-09-08 22:18

    As long as you don’t have any popping or grinding noise it is probably just the seal. yes your arrows are correct for jack placement. It takes an unbelievable amount of force to get them to pop off so you can’t be afraid to really put the pressure on the jacks. And it will not be a little pop when they break loose, it will be a big POP! Yes just re-torque the 3 bolts when you put it back on and you should be good to go.

  6. #6Harold Clyde2021-09-08 22:33

    Sounds exciting. I don’t think they have ever been off, so factory tight. New thought, do you know best place to download service manual? I’ve found a few sores that claim to have manual in PDF. About $20.

  7. #7Bobcat Crazy2021-09-08 22:39

    Not really, I bought mine for the internet probably eBay but not sure. I bought one that gave the instant download and they also mailed the hard copy. But it was may three years ago but it is a pretty good copy.

  8. #8Coaldust2021-09-09 02:10

    Tapered shafts always make a Big Bang when they come loose. Scary stuff. I always call Kenny Loggins first, just to let him know I’m headed into the Danger Zone!