I have a very small leak under my CAT 910E loader. I think I found it, the oil appears to come from the gasket seal between the starter and the engine block. The 5 o-clock position of a clock. Well some one told me there is no oil there it is suppose to be dry. Any input from you CAT mechanics? Engine is a 3114 turbocharged the starter is a CAT remanufacture. The gasket is a red color rubber like material. starting motor part # 9W3748 Gasket part # 3K3257 What ever is communicated will be greatly appreciated.
sounds like the rear main seal may be leaking. we had a steel drum roller with a cummins that puked out the rear main seal and the only place it leaked was around the starter.
I'm going to say this machine has a "wet" flywheel. The oil leaking is probably transmission oil. If you look you will probably see that the transmission is mounted directly to the engine. I'd also say if you look at the oil leaking out it is not dark like I'm thinking your engine oil is but nice and clean like the transmission oil. If it was indeed suppose to be "dry" why would they bother using a gasket? Don't think I have ever seen a gasket used to mount a starter with a dry flywheel like a manual clutch in a truck. I'd replace the gasket, just make sure to disconnect the power before unhooking any wires.
Yes the oil is clear like CAT Hyd Oil thats in the Transmission. Between the engine and the power shift transmission is the torque converter.
If CAT put a gasket there, as shown in the parts picture, it's a wet mount. Replace gasket, use thread lock on the fasteners, if necessary rinse, repeat. If the leak reoccurs you may have something causing excessive internal pressure, plugged breather somewhere or like that.....
lantraxco, Good point on the breather! Item # 7 in image below:
lantraxco do I have to drain the hyd oil first? may seem a stupid question but I do not know. Thinking if oil is inside it may all drain out, it would be wasted big $. Cat parts book does not explain procedure.
kshansen, thanks for the parts picture! I'm not familiar with this model but that breather would be a good thing to check! Bob, I am not sure, but usually wet flywheel housings only have a small amount of oil in the bottom, if the oil level gets too high the flywheel/torque will create heat and foam the oil wasting power. If the housing is full high enough to run out when you loosen the starter then my guess would be you have a scavenge pump circuit issue, or excessive bypassing of a seal ring into the housing?