Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Basic Wiring Question

RobVG ยท 2014-05-30 17:42

Embarrassed to ask this, and not exactly sure how. On an excavator, where does hot come from? I know there's a few relays near the battery for things like the starter but what about the cab? Is there something like a main bus somewhere? I know the fuse panel is just a pass through, where's the source? Trying to figure a good source for a 24v control handle and after that, a good way to tap into it. Also, is there a way to screw up the computer?, I- don't want to find that. Zaxis 135US

Replies18
  1. #1excavator2014-05-30 21:43

    I've not done a ZX135 but have always been able to find an un-used wire under the dash, or I've used the wire to the cigarette lighter. The best thing to do is find a wiring diagram and look at that, it will answer a lot of your questions.

  2. #2RobVG2014-05-30 21:45

    I'll look for a diagram. Actually thought of using the lighter but it's dead even thought the fuse is ok. Thanks

  3. #3Nige2014-05-30 22:14

    Depending on exactly how many amps you need you could probably tap into the fuse box either in a spare fuse or maybe straight off the main power relay. If you do the latter you need an inline fuse in your hot wire to yourcontrol handle.

  4. #4excavator2014-05-30 22:21

    Rob, the closest wiring diagram I have electronically is for a ZX135UR. I don't know how much difference there is between the two and I haven't figured out yet how to e-mail it to you. Otherwise when I get to my office I'm pretty sure I have it on paper.

  5. #5RobVG2014-05-30 22:35

    excavator, I might have a diagram in the manual i have. I'll look monday. At work you can reach me at XXXXXXXXX.net. Nige, how do you tap into a fuse box? I can think of a few ways but where is the power coming from into the fuse box? My basic understanding is lacking.

  6. #6mitch5042014-05-30 22:47

    Anybody notice Rob posted the worlds longest email address?

  7. #7willie592014-05-30 22:50

    Aye, and one that would leave a computer geek scratching his head. :lmao

  8. #8RobVG2014-05-30 22:54

    One more drink and I'm not going to know what the hell you guy's are talking about.

  9. #9willie592014-05-30 23:00

    Obviously.

  10. #10RobVG2014-05-30 23:03

    Pffft. Any input on the original question ol' wise one?

  11. #11willie592014-05-30 23:07

    Well, as much as I'd like to help, I have no experience with Hitachi Zaxis. But I'm inclined to agree with Nige, most any excavator I've worked on has a spare fuse spot or two in the main fuse box, and there would be a main wire feeding that fuse panel. I'd be looking in that area for a suitable power source.

  12. #12RobVG2014-05-30 23:13

    Does that mean that the fuse block is a bus? I'm sorry but I've never had to deal with this. At a brief glance, it looked like there was a wire going to the fuse block and one coming out- with the fuse in between them. I should give up for tonight. Maybe there is a diagram in the book I got. I just wanted to get a feel how things worked. I can find a ground anywhere....

  13. #13willie592014-05-30 23:20

    Again, I don't know Zaxis machines, but there should be a main fuse panel in the cab, most likely behind the seat. There should be some way you could tap into either a spare fuse slot in that panel or at least tap into the source that feeds that panel.

  14. #14willie592014-05-30 23:21

    No worries...a few more drinks and both you and I will find ground just fine.

  15. #15FSERVICE2014-05-30 23:44
  16. #16ANDREW C2014-05-30 23:44

    Never worked on the 135 zaxis but there should be wires in there that have a blanking plug on them after you go through the hassle of pulling the cab apart to get to the fuse box. Should be 24v fused. Also should be a plug for a joystick. A lot of shoulds though that may not be the case if its grey market though. Or use these http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...M-fuse-tap/_/N-25gq?itemIdentifier=32416_0_0_

  17. #17Nige2014-05-31 09:48

    Rob, This is what the back side of a typical Cat fuse box might look like. The main power into the hot side of the box is fed from the battery through the line marked "Hot in". It arrives at the alternator breaker #8 and is then fed diagonally upwards by a bus bar #13 to the main power relay #10 in the top RH corner. Another bus bar #7 feeds to the starter relay #6 top left. When the Main Power relay is energized by turning the key to the on position it feeds power through wire #12 to the fuse holder block, because obviously your fused circuits are only going to work after you turn the key on. Your machine is obviously going to be slightly different in layout but they all have to work pretty much the same way. You ought to be able to figure out how/where the hot comes in by starting at the fuse holder block and working backwards. If there is no spare fuse in the box that you can hook into I personally would go for a connection at the point indicated at the bottom of wire #12 with an inline fuse to protect your circuit. That is providing of course that you only want power to your additional control when the machine key is on.

  18. #18hitachi daft2014-05-31 16:14

    look for the fuse box there s wire tucked on the right hand side behind the plastic if you pull them out you should find aux 1 that matches aux 1 in fuse box might aux 2 as well hope this helps